dfd

Wraparound Bracelets

I'm fairly new to all this.So I made some nice 1/2" wide wraparound bracelets with spots & pyramids.I made them from 2-3 oz .veg tanned leather.I stained them with oil stain & satin sheen.When I flex them to wrap around the wrist the leather cracks on the surface.Am I using the wrong kind of leather or is it possibly of poor quality?If so,what would be a better choice?

I've had this happen to me a couple times, in my case, I think I used too much finish and that caused the surface to crack. Both times I had done 3 or 4 coats of Leather Balm w. Atom Wax because they were special projects.

Good luck,

Kevin

Put your finish on in very thin layers. Let it dry well between coats so the finish stays in layers. If it doesn't dry between coats, then it is just one thick layer and cracks. Thin your finish to 50-50 mix or so before application. Look up other recent posts on finishing. Some are using 50-50 mixture of mop-n-glow which I am trying out on some scraps to see how I like it. Looks good so far.

Depending on the finish you used, you may be able to use its solvent to remove most of it and refinish it. Feibings deglazer might work to help remove the finish too. Might take several applications and lots of rubbing with soft cotton cloth to remove the old stuff.

CTG

Put your finish on in very thin layers. Let it dry well between coats so the finish stays in layers. If it doesn't dry between coats, then it is just one thick layer and cracks. Thin your finish to 50-50 mix or so before application. Look up other recent posts on finishing. Some are using 50-50 mixture of mop-n-glow which I am trying out on some scraps to see how I like it. Looks good so far.

Depending on the finish you used, you may be able to use its solvent to remove most of it and refinish it. Feibings deglazer might work to help remove the finish too. Might take several applications and lots of rubbing with soft cotton cloth to remove the old stuff.

CTG

Which version of the mop n glow product are you using? There seem to be a couple. Has anyone tried future floor finish and how has that worked?

(Sorry dfd, I didn't mean to highjack your thread.)

Rosemary

Edited by rosiart

1330879494[/url]' post='237504']

Which version of the mop n glow product are you using? There seem to be a couple. Has anyone tried future floor finish and how has that worked?

(Sorry dfd, I didn't mean to highjack your thread.)

Rosemary

Mop&Glo triple action is the only one we could find here. I was testing some dyes and finishes, as well as assembly technique for a special binder I have been asked to do. The cover is lined with a 3-4 oz leather. I had been using some newspaper to keep the bench clean. The lining had picked up some black from the newspaper type. I sprayed a mist of m&g on it. It wiped right off and has left a nice sheene after drying and buffing.

So 2 things learned, don't use newspaper where there is any risk of picking up the ink and that m&g will remove some surface grime, etc. if needed.

CTG

Maybe because Mop n Glow is for floors! I know in other threads it's been talked about in several posts of people using it. I use Leather Balm also. I think I'll stick with products for leather.

I'm fairly new to all this.So I made some nice 1/2" wide wraparound bracelets with spots & pyramids.I made them from 2-3 oz .veg tanned leather.I stained them with oil stain & satin sheen.When I flex them to wrap around the wrist the leather cracks on the surface.Am I using the wrong kind of leather or is it possibly of poor quality?If so,what would be a better choice?

if the leather is cracking then try and using some neatsfoot oil to loosen up the leather and make it a little more flexible, the tanning process dries it out quite a bit and if the finish is cracking its probably too thick like they were saying,

OR....i use the same dye you do and i wanted to chime in on a missed point, the oil dye will leave a residue on the surface of the leather, this must be buffed off before finish is applied or your finish will not stick properly. you can notice this when you use the black and darker colors even more, it will leave a grayish hue on the leather. buff it off really well and take your sheep wool and rub your finish on and don't use a dauber or anything to apply your finish or you will definitely have it too thick

hope this helped