Sign in to follow this  
JAFO

Where to get the video on doing leather feathers?

After reading the post and seeing the incredible detail of some of the leather feathers you folks have made or acquired, I think I would like to try my hand at this. Does anyone know where I can get the video that was mentioned?

After reading the post and seeing the incredible detail of some of the leather feathers you folks have made or acquired, I think I would like to try my hand at this. Does anyone know where I can get the video that was mentioned?

Making and coloring an eagle feather was the first video in Robb Barr's series. Hidecrafter is the place to get any of Robb's videos (ask for Anne if you call) . You will need to either buy or make yourself a "multi-blade" knife. It is the knife that puts lines in the feathers. Basically it is a bunch of X-acto knife blades side by side. Robb made these by cutting a hole in a 3/8ths in wooden dowel and then epoxy-ing the x-acto blades into the hole. The other tool you will need is a surgeons scalpel. You should be able to get both of these from Hidecrafter also. The feathers are fun and fairly easy to make.

Clay

Just checked the Hidecrafters site. I'll order the DVD tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response and the info.

Paul Burnett (PaintingCow Leather) is another leather feather master. I posted a picture of the earrings he made for me somewhere on this board. Chris Kearns, president of the PittPounders Leather Guild in Pittsburgh, Pa. is another leather feather expert.

Johanna

Just checked the Hidecrafters site. I'll order the DVD tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response and the info.

Jim Linnell showed me how to make a feather. I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. We used a 202L & R beveler and common hair-line type blade to get veins. Quill is a piece of wire. The paintin' part is what I'm no good at.

Leather_Feather_1.JPG

post-24-1165707421_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill. Looks like the same kind of feathers that Robb did. Robb used the angled bevelers on the quill, and then his multi-blade knife for the veins. I see no reason why a regular hair blade wouldn't work, just wouldn't make the veins stand out as much as the sharper blades do.

I never thought I would get any good at painting either, but if you keep at it, you'll get there. Your painting isn't too bad. I found that I like my results better when I really thin down acrylics. You can always add another coat if you don't think it's dark enough, but it's hard to take it away if you put it on too thick to start with. With the thinned down paint, it is easier to blend the colors together.

I'd love to take a class or two from Jim Linnell someday. He does some really nice work, and he is such a nice guy.

Clay