yotebuster1200

Singer 319W for building chaps

I have been considering buying a singer 319w for doing some leather sewing on. the heaviest leather I would be sewing with it is sewing a 8 oz tooling leather to a piece of chap leather. The person I was thinking of buying the machine from says that I would be able to take a heavy mens blet (the outdoor type he says) fold it in half and sew it. If it can do that it would work. but I just dont want to get screwed. What do you think?

not too familar with that machine, but it should have a walking foot.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Hi Buster,

A lot of the problems I see with any "standard" sewing machine for leatherwork is being able to climb over various thicknesses of leather. If you have to save-up and spend $2200 on a machine that will do just about everything for your leather projects and that you will own forever, then that is not too much to ask. With even heavy duty standard machines, the needle selections are not really geared to sewing leather, heavy canvas and upholstery or garment leathers maybe, but not real leather. The folks importing machines to specifically sew leather generally change out the parts that sew fabric for new parts that sew leather; some do this better than others. Some of the old machines are built like tanks and can handle the load, but will never give you the stitch using heavy thread on heavy leather that a modern leather sewing machine will. You need a good walking foot, needle feed sewing machine to do your work that uses a needle system that has leather points available.

Art

I have been considering buying a singer 319w for doing some leather sewing on. the heaviest leather I would be sewing with it is sewing a 8 oz tooling leather to a piece of chap leather. The person I was thinking of buying the machine from says that I would be able to take a heavy mens blet (the outdoor type he says) fold it in half and sew it. If it can do that it would work. but I just dont want to get screwed. What do you think?

What about this machine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=360130926360

this is one of the singers I was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130285303791

here is another I was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-306W-INDUSTRIAL...93%3A1|294%3A50

Edited by yotebuster1200

NO, NO, NO.

Sorry for shouting but any mention of "industrial strength" sewing machines does that to me. The term industrial strength is the mark of a liar, a scam merchant, someone who's out to decieve the unwary by charging well over the odds for old domestic machines. It's a meaningless term anyway, genuine industrial sewing machines vary from lightweight machines for sewing dress shirts to extra heavy duty ones for sewing an inch of leather or heavy webbing.

I don't know about prices in the US but in the UK Singer 45K's go for between £ 150 and £ 600 depending where you get them from. The 45K is not as good as a modern stitcher, but is capable of sewing heavy leather with heavy thread. If you want portable you'd get a Sailrite or suchlike for that much money

My general rule is if anyone has to try as hard to sell something as they are with that 306w either they're not to be trusted.

How about the disclaimer - "industrial strength means it's not industrial strength but it is industrial strength"

Well I am great full for the help. I kind of found it hard to believe that I would be able to do what I was wanting to do with one of those machines. I just thought I would ask anyways figuring you would know better.

For the amount of money those last 2 are going for, you could buy a real sewing machine. If you're serious about sewing leather, you can't cut corners. When I first got started I was told that an old singer was the way to go. So, I went to the pawn shop and found a cute little singer for about $50. Well, that one didn't last but a week or so until I had to take it in to the repair guy. He explained that what I had, a belt driven sewing machine, wasn't strong enough for sewing leather. He said I needed a gear driven machine. And just by chance, he had one of those! He wanted my machine and $100 to swap. He said I would be amazed at the difference, and I was. But it was only a couple weeks later that I went to buy a real commercial sewing machine. These machines are great little machines, but they will not stand up to the heavy duty use that they claim. No way, not at all. I can promise you those machines will not do your job happily.

I recommend you look at craigslist for a commercial sewing machine. Just get a lockstitch machine, and don't worry about all the fancy stitches those things can do. The majority of that stuff you will not use anyway. For 4oz tooling + chap you could do without a walking foot, for awhile. For 8 oz plus chap, you should really get a walking foot.

I happen to have a non walking foot machine that I use for onlay and applique work that has a rolling foot, servo motor and reducer. Just for the sake of testing, I ran a piece of 8-9 oz an 4-5 oz chap through it. It sewed just fine. this machine is a needle fed machine though, not just your standard drop feed. You might get by with a setup like this, but could probably find a walking foot for a hundred more if you're patient.

Do not buy anything from ebay that is not a recognizable machine, these are usually chinese junk machines. I know too many people who have been burned buying these machines, don't be tempted. If you really want to buy the proper machine, people here can point you in the right direction.

where is a good place to find good used machines. I am the type of person that is willing to wait and save for the machine that I will be happy with. I hate buying things twice.

try looking at www.oldcowpoke.com, you may have to get his number off the web site and call, talk to Jack. I got a clicker from him and he treated me well. he finds alot of leather machines

where is a good place to find good used machines. I am the type of person that is willing to wait and save for the machine that I will be happy with. I hate buying things twice.

Someone just paid $550.00 for that 300 series Singer? have one in my bedroom if anyone wants to pay that much for it! And I can get you two if you want to go, say $300 each!

Pat

Someone just paid $550.00 for that 300 series Singer? have one in my bedroom if anyone wants to pay that much for it! And I can get you two if you want to go, say $300 each!

Pat

have you sewn leather with it.?