CWR

Tucson Half Breed

This is number four for me. 15 1/2 Tucson from Sonny Felkins. This is going to be my personal rig. I had to get the pictures before I got the holes punched in the billet or the camera was leaving. I still have a lot of room for improvement so any critiques are welcome.

Thanks,

CW

post-5332-0-00835500-1371128633_thumb.jp

post-5332-0-54057200-1371128678_thumb.jp

post-5332-0-36912100-1371128701_thumb.jp

Looks great! I like the pattern, different, and interesting. I like it. Looks like you are western Texas. cedar pole round pen,prickly pear cactus, juniper "trees". Looks just like my place In New Mexico.... ready to burn.

Looks great CW, nice job!

I'll try to get some pictures of green grass and shady oak trees for you and Rufus James :cowboy:. I can say that now but last summer MO started to look like west TX too...

Thank you all. I can take no credit for the stamp pattern. Jeremiah Watt made the stamp and the original design. JW Wright uses it a lot and was kind enough to give me some pointers on running it.

I have a question for you all, Do you use tacks or some other method to secure your Cantle bind when shaping it?I have been using tacks and am not satisfied with the results. If you look at the third picture you can see where the stitch line is distorted. This was where a tack was and as the bind dried it puckered at the stitch groove. I need to find a better way.

Rufus, I'm just a few hundred miles south of you in Alpine. Two years ago everything did burn up. I had to evacuate my family twice but we stayed out of harms way. Had some friends who were not so fortunate. It's gonna rain this year though :cowboy: .

Josh send those pictures while we are waiting though. Glad yall are getting some rain. It has got to rain in the good country before we get any.

As you can see I am still struggling with that back housing line covering my rear rigging leather. I made a new pattern and then trimmed off too much at the final fitting.

Thanks again,

CW

Edited by CWR

WOOOW!! Looks good! Nice tooling

Martin

Thank you all. I can take no credit for the stamp pattern. Jeremiah Watt made the stamp and the original design. JW Wright uses it a lot and was kind enough to give me some pointers on running it.

Thanks again,

CW

Nice job CW !;)

and i find your stamping nice!

i bought that stamp last year in Sheridan but still not had much time to give it a good try and find a way to do that pattern.

If you would be kind to give me pointer on how to align all the stuff ..;i would be glad! ;)

here on your post or by MP ...up to you! ;)

and keep going! ;)

Thank you Aurelie. JW Wright does all his stamping first then cuts his lines in with a swivel knife. I tried this and my eye is not as accurate as his so I came up with a method that worked for me.

I have the large stamp so any measurements given here will be for it, but it will work just as well on the smaller stamp because the angles are the same.

First I scribed a very light horizontal line on whatever piece I was stamping. Then I used a 60 degree triangle to scribe two lines( one angled left and one angled right) to the horizontal line. These can be deeper because you then cut them in with you swivel knife. After these first two cuts were made I set my wing dividers at 5/8 inch and used them to scribe a line paralell to the first, then cut this line in then repeat until all the lines were cut in that direction. Then do all the lines going the other direction. After the lines were cut just center the stamp made in the diamonds and stamp away. I used a small seeder at the spot where the lines intersected. If you want the diamonds smaller move your wing dividers in slightly. My stamp is 1/2 inch wide so the 5/8 gave me a little room for error.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Thanks,

CW

Cool CW ! thanks for the explanation!

can't remember the size of my stamp

going to try that! ;) and i will go for YOUR way....cause i am pretty sure it will work for me batter ;)

i will let you know the result ;)

Very nice work CWR...and I also like that Jeremiah Watt stamp you used. I went to his site and didn't see that design. Could it possibly be one that he doesn't offer to the public yet...or any longer.

And...thanks for the explanation of your stamping layout process.

Very nice work CWR...and I also like that Jeremiah Watt stamp you used. I went to his site and didn't see that design. Could it possibly be one that he doesn't offer to the public yet...or any longer.

And...thanks for the explanation of your stamping layout process.

Thank you Harley. The stamp is under the section Block Stamps. The one I have is the large size. There are probably a lot of people who have a better method to run that stamp than I do, but I am pretty much self taught and that is the best I could come up with. I wasn't able to just eye ball it in. Cutting the lines in is pretty tedious and time consuming but the stamping goes pretty fast.

CW