Jimbob

Poly Or Nylon...

Hi there.......

Me was wondering, since there is Nylon and Poly thread......if a man has to change any adjustments on any given industrial machine to use either Nylon or Poly thread in the same size,,,,I am aware that Poly thread is more for outdoors and Nylon is more flexible, but I wonder how different they behave in a sewing machine......

Seems like most leather guys use bonded Nylon in there work.....any thoughts on that??

Just put an order for thread in at thread-exchange in Weaverville, NC.....lots of thread info on there website but no info how machines need to be adjusted??

I would like to try some Poly thread.....just wondering if anybody has had any experience with that.

Greetings

Jimbob

Polyester thread is for use on items that are often used in direct sunlight or water. It is primarily used to sew awnings, tents, car wash cloths, boat covers and sails. Bonded polyester thread usually has a UV coating to prevent discoloration in direct sunlight.

Bonded nylon is a tad stronger and seems to be better bonded. It is used more often on items that are not left in the sun or that are frequently soaked in water. Nylon thread is cheaper than Anti-UV coated polyester. It is the staple thread of most leathercrafters with machines.

There is one more type of thread I want to mention: Glazed linen. This is the cream of the crop thread that is used in shoe sole stitchers, and in most needle and awl harness stitchers. Many commercial holsters are sewn on needle and awl machines using waxed linen thread. When properly waxed, this thread will outlast the owner of the sewn goods. If one stitch breaks, the rest stay locked. This is why shoe soles are sewn with waxed linen thread. Most Puritan machines use waxed linen thread.

Ferdco recomends bonded Poly, here is a quote from there website

"There are several reasons we stock the bonded Polester thread rather than Nylon. first is does not stretch like nylon thread does and the second is that since it does not streach it is easier on the working parts of your sewing machine and will give you a more consistant stitch and a better quality of stitch.

We have been in this businesss for a long time and have used bonded polyester thread since about 1988. We have also found that you can sometimes use one size smaller needle than you would normally with the polyester than when using nylon thread. We are not saying that nylon will not work in your machine, but for sure they will operate better and give you a better quality of stitch with the bonded Polester".

Ferdco recomends bonded Poly, here is a quote from there website

"There are several reasons we stock the bonded Polester thread rather than Nylon. first is does not stretch like nylon thread does and the second is that since it does not streach it is easier on the working parts of your sewing machine and will give you a more consistant stitch and a better quality of stitch.

We have been in this businesss for a long time and have used bonded polyester thread since about 1988. We have also found that you can sometimes use one size smaller needle than you would normally with the polyester than when using nylon thread. We are not saying that nylon will not work in your machine, but for sure they will operate better and give you a better quality of stitch with the bonded Polester".

Wiz, I did not know about glazed linen....intersting info here.....sure is good to know that there are options.....on the second reply....I wonder if a Nylon thread is more stretchy....would that not be better not to put strain on your working parts....more flexibility??

But again, thanks for the good info....I keep my ears open for more on here...

Thanks

James