randyandclaudia

Leather Worker Claiming My Work As His Own! Is He Using Your Photos Too?

Two weeks ago I was scrolling through my local Nashville Craigslist when I saw an ad for Custom Made Hand-Tooled Leather Products On Sale!! (Waco). *he also posts with this title Custom-Made Hand-Tooled Leather Items on Sale! So . . . I clicked on it and there was a large ad with 24 photos of leather products beneath a lengthy description of the numerous items that he says he makes. The entire ad is underneath this statement:

All "DM Creations" products are custom-made in my workshop at home...

Well . . . I was like Wow this guy can apparently make everything . . . let me check out his photos. It seemed that whoever made this stuff was quite diverse in his abilities so I thought that I would zoom in a bit. It was very early in the morning and my eyes were a bit foggy so I went to get my glasses. As soon as I put them on a Telecaster covered in black and white leather jumped out at me. I clicked on the picture and was blown away when I realized that a guy named Mark Clark from Waco ,Texas was using my work in one of his ads.

http://shoals.craigslist.org/ard/4938261915.html

So I called him 254-723-1434 and told him that I was interested in the black and white Telecaster that he had posted on a Craigslist Ad in Nashville, TN. He said . . . The white and black tooled one? (it’s actually inlay / overlay) Yea . . . can you tell me about it? After listening to the double talking spewing of BS I let him know that I was the guy who made the guitar and that it was HIGHLY UNCOOL of him to be using mine or anyone else’s photos as his own. He quickly apologized and said that he would remove my photo from his ad that afternoon because he was a Christian man. Well, it’s been over two weeks and the photo of my work is still there! This pissed me off so I thought I would let all of you other awesome leather artists who bust their ass to make their mark that a person named MARK CLARK from WACO, TEXAS is very possibly using photos of your hard work as his own. He said that he posted in 20 or 30 different cities across the country. Here’s another one:

http://austin.craigslist.org/ard/4889185458.html

You see Mark Clark . . . It has taken my wife and I 26 years to be able to create like we do. It has also taken us that long to compile an extensive body of work. . . One with depth, variety and originality. The truth of the matter is that you will always be in the dust of all the great makers that made the things that you claim as your own. Must suck for you.

If you do think that you could execute a complex leather piece like Claudia and I then I recommend you create a leather contest and put up a huge cash prize. I’ll guarantee you one thing MARK CLARK . . . Claudia and I will spend the prize money before we cut our patterns!

Positively,

Randy Lister

Leather Artisan

The Cosmic Leather Emporium

It does make you worry for someone who might place an order with this guy, totally out of line. If he really is a christian he will not be going to heaven behaving like this.

Time to report him to Craigslist. It could be a con. He will take payment via western union and tell you he will have it made in 6 weeks. 6 weeks later no one will answer the phone and I will bet no one will have heard of him at that address he gives out.

The guitar case looks like one I think maybe Peter Main made? It looks familiar...

The craigslist from Austin that you posted has been flagged for removal...

Sorry you got your stuff bootlegged... But, Karma will get the AH...

I saw the ad on CL for the last couple of weeks now. I probably know most of the leather workers around my area and found it interesting when I viewed the photographs. It must be disturbing to see someone else claim your work. Unfortunately, most people will not know how fake some of these people are. I would definitely flag that ad.

showing up in the N. GA CL ads...nothing local to me, though

Definitely start putting a watermark on your pictures. Sure it doesn't look as nice, but it makes it a LOT harder for scumbags like this guy to rip people off using your good work.

Yes it does make sense as Gray Drakon states,

Its unfortunate , but, this is just the beginning of greed,

scams, and the like for the U.S.

Nip it in the bud now ! Just my .02 worth -------- Wild Bill46

He is a good Christian man, and is obviously waiting for the second coming to take the picture down. At least he didn't put your name in his ads, so you won't be getting calls when he doesn't provide product.

Art

A bit of an aside but what's the deal with Waco Texas? It's a small town isn't it? But I always seem to hear about it connected to bad things. Branch Davidians, That biker shootout.... I don't know why but I always seem to hear about this town connected to some unfortunate things...

Andrew

The more remote you are, the more opportunity for nefarious goings on. Small population equals small PD, with little time for keeping their finger on the pulse of the community. Beaumont TX is another example, lotta fraud going on there on a nationwide scale. Rural areas of southern Utah, you call 911, help is just 30 minutes (if you are lucky) away.

Art

Randy, ok so I looked at the web sight, saw the products that you described and sure enough it is as you stated. One thing that stood out to me was that if you look at all the items displayed, there is a marked difference in the level of artistry and ability exhibited from one item to another. All I can say is that "all comes to he who waits". This guy is just headed for a time when he "gets his t__ in a ringer". In the mean time, if it really frosts you, adding a watermark will help. Personally I'd rather be spending the time I have left making things that please me. Life is too short to worry about guys like this. Besides maybe he was at the biker meeting in Waco and you won't be hearing from him anymore.

Bob

Thanks for the heads up.

Be great if you lived out there and could just be like, "sounds hard to make an exact duplicate. I'll come pick it up". Or "I'll pay you extra to watch you make it."

Be great if you lived out there and could just be like, "sounds hard to make an exact duplicate. I'll come pick it up". Or "I'll pay you extra to watch you make it."

wish my stuff was good enough for people to steal my photos...lol

Ha ha, big lew, +1

LOL Lew, you and me both. Cheryl