Edvin

Result For My Bachelor Of Industrial Design (B.i.d.)

Hi everyone!

I recently finished my Bachelor of Design from the University of Gotland and I thoght it might be fun to show you the project.

My senior term project have been in collaboration with Ödins Tannery in Visby, a traditional tannery with in house production (http://www.odinsgarveri.se/).

The project's goal has been to develop a manufacturing base for a new leather shoulder bag for men. The bag is designed to be easy to produce without material loss and to be durable and stylish. The client is only working with vegetable-tanned leather and this design was an attempt to introduce a more modern looking product specifically produced for men.

The project provides an overview of the most common ways to prepare and tan hides, sewing techniques and manufacturing technologies. Audience and market analysis has aided the design of the finished product and focus has been placed on model and sketch work.

The end product is a bag made from high quality materials, design inspired by classic men's fashion and with well-planned and thoughtful details. The prototype is made from 2.2 mm full-grain cow leather and reindeer skin. The finished production unit would of course be sewed on machine but I have not had access (and to be honest, the know-how) to one so the prototype is hand made.

Of course there is much more to this project than my usual, a large portion of the project have been looking at demographic groups, making inquiries, sketches and getting data. With so many extremely talented members on this board, it would be nice to get some feedback!

Hope you like it, here are some pictures:

PRIMUS.jpg

PRIMUS_2.jpg

Moodboard%2B-%2Bmaterial.jpg

Moodboard%2B-%2Bv%25C3%25A4sktyper.jpg

Moodboard%2B-%2Bbrogues%2BA.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25285%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Edited by Edvin

Beautiful bag, Edvin. I love the simple, elegant design. Just gorgeous! :thumbsup:

I second Whinewine's comment :thumbsup::clapping::thumbsup:

Can you explain the process of "rullad kant"? It looks darn good :-)

Thank you!

That looks fantastic!

Beautiful design! I like the simple elegance, you brought all of the best elements from your inspirations and materials together perfectly.

A very manly bag!

Rick

The rolled edge ("rullad kant" in Swedish, I´m sorry I didn´t translate the posters before posting) is a strip of reindeer leather covering the front edge and the tweed on the inside.

It´s sewn first one time, grain against grain and the folded over and sewn another time. I´m sure there is technical term for this but I don´t know the English term.

This was made both to cover the edge of the lining but also to give the bag a more dressed approach.

Bild_fack.jpg

Hi Edvin,

The bag is beautifully designed and flawlessly executed. That being said, I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Sorry, it is an old American guy thing.

Art

Hi everyone!

I recently finished my Bachelor of Design from the University of Gotland and I thoght it might be fun to show you the project.

My senior term project have been in collaboration with Ödins Tannery in Visby, a traditional tannery with in house production (http://www.odinsgarveri.se/).

The project's goal has been to develop a manufacturing base for a new leather shoulder bag for men. The bag is designed to be easy to produce without material loss and to be durable and stylish. The client is only working with vegetable-tanned leather and this design was an attempt to introduce a more modern looking product specifically produced for men.

The project provides an overview of the most common ways to prepare and tan hides, sewing techniques and manufacturing technologies. Audience and market analysis has aided the design of the finished product and focus has been placed on model and sketch work.

The end product is a bag made from high quality materials, design inspired by classic men's fashion and with well-planned and thoughtful details. The prototype is made from 2.2 mm full-grain cow leather and reindeer skin. The finished production unit would of course be sewed on machine but I have not had access (and to be honest, the know-how) to one so the prototype is hand made.

Of course there is much more to this project than my usual, a large portion of the project have been looking at demographic groups, making inquiries, sketches and getting data. With so many extremely talented members on this board, it would be nice to get some feedback!

Hope you like it, here are some pictures:

PRIMUS.jpg

PRIMUS_2.jpg

Moodboard%2B-%2Bmaterial.jpg

Moodboard%2B-%2Bv%25C3%25A4sktyper.jpg

Moodboard%2B-%2Bbrogues%2BA.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25285%2529.jpg

Broguev%25C3%25A4ska%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Edvin, that's a fantastic bag, you did a beautiful job!!!

Thanks!

Art; I really understand! I think there is quite some difference in how we perceive leather design in different parts of the world. In my initial research I found quite a essay on it´s own regarding the different design language in the old and new world.

For example, I borrowed and read mot of Al & Ann Stohlmans books when I started learning about leather craft. The construction details and knowledge in the books cannot be disputed but often I found myself a bit confused of the decorative elements. It might be a culture thing or a different kind of design language.

It would be fantastic to research this further, maybe in the future! :)

Looks sharp Edvin. Is the company planning to expand any to sell overseas? I think your bag would be a smash hit at some of the universities and with some of the professionals that don't want to lug around a briefcase.

Edvin - I sorta agree with Art, and I agree with your comments about cultural differences in the design appeal. The bag looks great, but I was initially wondering where the "frilly" (some might say girly, or feminine) design came from on the front flap. Obviously, it came from the shoe designs. For some reason, the design works on the shoes, but in a society (maybe just an American society) where men often get harassed by their coworkers for carrying a murse (male purse, man bag, etc.), anything that can make a bag more masculine, the better.

You mention the result came from your "audience and market analysis". I'm sure you hit the nail on the head with your local audience and market.

All that being said, I think you could simply remove the decorative "shoe" pattern completely, and widen the buckle straps to double what they are now, perhaps triple the width of the carry strap and pick a more rustic/masculine color and you'd be good to go for the American market (in my humble opinion). I think subtle changes like this are exactly what you attempted to achieve in your endeavor - to come up with a product that's easy to produce, and easy to adapt to a given market base to fine-tune the product quickly and easily.

Edvin - I sorta agree with Art, and I agree with your comments about cultural differences in the design appeal. The bag looks great, but I was initially wondering where the "frilly" (some might say girly, or feminine) design came from on the front flap. Obviously, it came from the shoe designs. For some reason, the design works on the shoes, but in a society (maybe just an American society) where men often get harassed by their coworkers for carrying a murse (male purse, man bag, etc.), anything that can make a bag more masculine, the better.

and pick a more rustic/masculine color and you'd be good to go for the American market (in my humble opinion).

Just a curious observation: So a man riding/sitting on a saddle covered with lots of floral, swirly, Sheridan-style acanthus-type designs in a natural color is considered riding something that is 'masculine', and yet a guy carrying a simple bag (most probably carrying a small laptop, or a Tablet, or notebook) in the same color with a minimalist bit of design on the flap is 'girly'? IF the bag were covered in the above noted, swirly floral/acanthus designs, would it then be masculine, like the saddle?

Just wondering...lol

I would carry a pair of pink saddle bags over my shoulder. I have demurred to the point that I will put one arm through a backpack/bookbag of reasonable color (prefer leather though). I carry a laptop in a bookbag or a brief. I ain't carrying no purse.

I'm old, I'm American, I'm a man.

Art

Just a curious observation: So a man riding/sitting on a saddle covered with lots of floral, swirly, Sheridan-style acanthus-type designs in a natural color is considered riding something that is 'masculine', and yet a guy carrying a simple bag (most probably carrying a small laptop, or a Tablet, or notebook) in the same color with a minimalist bit of design on the flap is 'girly'? IF the bag were covered in the above noted, swirly floral/acanthus designs, would it then be masculine, like the saddle?

Just wondering...lol

Just wondering...lol

I didn't say it made sense - but you don't see men getting made fun of for sitting on a floral saddle (I assume - I'm not really in the equestrian circles of friends), but you do see them getting made fun of for carrying man-bags. The more manly, the better. Perhaps it's just the execution of the floral pattern on the bag.

Loving the design work and fabrication of these gorgeous leather products.

If I could go back in time and chose another profession I would love to do graphic design or architecture over my science background stuff

The wing tip shoes are all sweet. I am a size 9 1/2..... hint hint :innocent:

I would carry a pair of pink saddle bags over my shoulder. I have demurred to the point that I will put one arm through a backpack/bookbag of reasonable color (prefer leather though). I carry a laptop in a bookbag or a brief. I ain't carrying no purse.

I'm old, I'm American, I'm a man.

Art

:NEWFUNNYPOST: Actually, that would make good song lyrics: 'I'm old. I'm American. I'm a man...'

So, Art: then what you're saying is that IF you were asked to dress in Period garb as an 18th Century reenactor, you would refuse to wear a possibles bag (with fringe? or without fringe?) because it would be (in your words) a "PURSE"... Interesting, because a possibles bag is also American (and is found in other cultures as well)... :rolleyes:

Are you trying to put words in my mouth? If I were dressing in period garb, I would be dressing in period garb with all of the attendant frills, bows, fringe, knee high nickers and stockings, or whatever.

I guess we know now on what level we disagree.

Art

:NEWFUNNYPOST: Actually, that would make good song lyrics: 'I'm old. I'm American. I'm a man...'

So, Art: then what you're saying is that IF you were asked to dress in Period garb as an 18th Century reenactor, you would refuse to wear a possibles bag (with fringe? or without fringe?) because it would be (in your words) a "PURSE"... Interesting, because a possibles bag is also American (and is found in other cultures as well)... :rolleyes:

Just wondering...lol

I am not a cowboy. I grew up in Alaska and ended up as an aduly in Portland Oregon. The area around here is not cowboy land at all, but overfilled with wacko liberal types (lots of guys carrying purses).

The number one question when I do tooling and people see my work is that it is a shame that there are no design/styles for men. I have had a number of people see my work and comment it is great, but they do not like the girly designs. I know guys that would absolutly never park their butts in a brokeback mountain saddle (have heard those exact words).

I like the purse. Awsome looking actually. I would consider buying it for my girlfriend, but you would not ever see me carrying it.

Aaron

Are you trying to put words in my mouth? If I were dressing in period garb, I would be dressing in period garb with all of the attendant frills, bows, fringe, knee high nickers and stockings, or whatever.

I guess we know now on what level we disagree.

Art

I'm just joshing with you, Art. Relax! (And I don't know on what level we disagree, if at all...- it's just that you seemed to get a touch uptight when mentioning 'PURSE' :head_hurts_kr: )

I really love the bag, but I likewise would give it to my wife (as per the next post, by Aaron), but wouldn't wear it myself... except with my renfaire and leather demonstrating garb.

Edited by whinewine

Around here, I don't think most of the riders who have a fancy floral Sheridan saddle get much lip--or the "lipper" only does it once. Someone who can afford and appreciate a Sheridan saddle spends a lot of time on a horse, and tends to be tough and quick. You don't try to pick a fight with them without finding yourself lying on the ground and wondering how you got there and why your teeth are lying next to you.

Ok, ok, back to the bag. I have a question for you American guys then. Would any of you carry it if it was bigger (more of a briefcase or messenger bag size), had wider straps, was dark brown or black, was more utilitarian in structure and design, and had no decorative work?:blink:

Just wondering...lol

i totally agree with this! i have often thought about the florals on a holster or a saddle where the object itself is viewed as being masculine, but the decoration is feminine. it's really a dichotomy.

as for the shoes shown, i love (and own) a pair of wingtips. i think they're beautifully designed even if perhaps they are a bit "frilly".

now, having said that, i totally appreciate the design and work that has gone into a beautifully made holster or saddle. but my taste is a bit more industrial.

o.k......hijack over. that is a beautiful design, edvin.

No, it is the style of the bag, not the decoration. Briefcase, bookbag, saddlebags, are all Ok, even a computer over the shoulder bag nowadays, but NOT a purse or "man bag". I do prefer some to full decoration on saddles and holsters and gunbelts.

Besides, what the hell do some of these guys put in those man bags? I know for a fact some of them wouldn't know what to do with a computer.

I'm old school, spectacles, handkerchief, wallet, and watch. That's all I need.

Art

Around here, I don't think most of the riders who have a fancy floral Sheridan saddle get much lip--or the "lipper" only does it once. Someone who can afford and appreciate a Sheridan saddle spends a lot of time on a horse, and tends to be tough and quick. You don't try to pick a fight with them without finding yourself lying on the ground and wondering how you got there and why your teeth are lying next to you.

Ok, ok, back to the bag. I have a question for you American guys then. Would any of you carry it if it was bigger (more of a briefcase or messenger bag size), had wider straps, was dark brown or black, was more utilitarian in structure and design, and had no decorative work?:blink:

The design is nice. I don't see it as modern though primarily because of the way that straps and buckles are done. Also the shoulder strap is far too thin to be worn comfortably. Load some weight in there like a laptop and carry it for about ten minutes and I bet you will already be shifting it to another spot.

Is this laptop size? I think that perhaps the pictures are deceiving because we don't see it contrasted against a laptop. At laptop size it's a normal thing for a guy to be carrying around. Smaller than that is out of fashion for men in most places. In China however it's common to see men carrying what looks like smaller versions of messenger bags for their stuff, or "murses" as they are derisively called in the USA.

I think that as Ipads and the like become more popular then bags for that size will also become more acceptable for men to carry around.

Anyway it's nice to a see a project in leather done for an industrial design task. Very cool and thank you very much for sharing. I love to find new things to use leather for and think that it's an underused material in industrial design.

Good luck in your career! Should you ever need to find another place to take on some of your designs then feel free to contact us. www.jbcases.com

John - Also American, Man, middle aged.

Edited by JohnBarton