cawobblee

Wanted: Information On Denver Saddle Maker

Hello everyone:

I'm trying to find information on a Denver saddlemaker.

I have part of the maker's mark, but it is missing one letter.

Does anyone know a maker "MAX B_OLDBURG"?

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

Hello everyone:

I'm trying to find information on a Denver saddlemaker.

I have part of the maker's mark, but it is missing one letter.

Does anyone know a maker "MAX B_OLDBURG"?

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

Makers often used there middle intial, could this be the case?

Makers often used there middle intial, could this be the case?

I have searched the internet and can't find anything on Max B Oldburg. I was hoping someone would recognize the mark and be able to tell me something.

Thanks

If you Google Max B Goldberg and saddle, there is one listing for a farm auction that isn't available anymore from May 30, 2009. I don't know how to find any more information, but maybe that is your guy?

PUBLIC AUCTION Household Auction in Manzanola CO - Maiers Auction ... safe.gifMax B Goldberg saddle. Roping saddle. 2-RT Frazier Saddle. Macks Saddler saddle. RT Frazier nickel horn saddle. Sev. other misc saddles. Misc tack ...

www.farmauctionguide.com/Auctioneer/stacey/Auction/.../View_Map - Cached

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:B4Rhdwiwd6sJ:www.farmauctionguide.com/Auctioneer/stacey/Auction/1241660084/View_Map+saddle+%22Max+B+Goldberg%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

If you Google Max B Goldberg and saddle, there is one listing for a farm auction that isn't available anymore from May 30, 2009. I don't know how to find any more information, but maybe that is your guy?

PUBLIC AUCTION Household Auction in Manzanola CO - Maiers Auction ... Max B Goldberg saddle. Roping saddle. 2-RT Frazier Saddle. Macks Saddler saddle. RT Frazier nickel horn saddle. Sev. other misc saddles. Misc tack ...

www.farmauctionguide.com/Auctioneer/stacey/Auction/.../View_Map - Cached

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Thank you very much. Maybe I'm just spelling the "berg" wrong. I'll check it out.

Regards!

There was a Max B. Golberg in Denver, Colorado from 1900-1937

There was a Max B. Golberg in Denver, Colorado from 1900-1937

Hi Casey:

Thanks very much.

Another member mentioned Goldberg.

Nothing on the internet about him, but I'm gonna keep looking.

Thanks again.

Jean

My Grandfather and father had a Max Goldberg Saddle. It was a prized saddle in the family and something my father frequently speaks of. I may be able to shed some light on this for you. Apparently Max built saddles in Colorado for a long time. For whatever reason he  moved down to Mexico. This is how they came to own one. They met the man in Mexico on a family vacation he was older but he and  them talked a bit and hit it off. He told them he would build a saddle for them as they had foundation quarter horses and this was apparently something Max was fond of. He wasn't making saddles at the time he met them he was making  boots and shoes. They left and really did not think on it any more until one day they received a large box  inside was the saddle he had  told them he would send them. This was sometime in the early to mid 60's. I remember the saddle from when I was a small child because unlike the other saddles that saddle never sat in the barn. It was there favorite saddle. For good reason. It was elaborately tooled and even highlighted with dye and paint on the carvings. The saddle was hand made entirely and not a single piece was sewing machine. so every piece was fit  specifically to that saddle. He had built the saddle to fit my father  from speaking with him that day and had apparently enough skill at making saddles that without even measuring or taking down information he made the saddle fit like a glove to my father and his discipline of working cow horses. Something that any saddle maker who has been doing it a while will tell you comes from experience that can  not be taught.

We had a house fire when i was 4 and the saddle burnt in the house. I used to sit on the saddle in the upstairs and play cowboys and Indians on it because that is where it was placed after use on it's own saddle stand.

If you run into a Max Goldberg saddle . Buy it. The man was a master saddle maker and you will have something that can not be reproduced. I promise you. 

This is what i know of the man from my father and grandfather.

I have looked for one myself because  every time i talk about building a saddle this is what my father says to me. "I wish i had one built  like that old Max Goldberg. You remember how that was built  right"

Lol i was 4 man ya I remember the saddle but no i do not  know how it was built. I wish I could look one over though and see what he did.

Edited by Currahee