dcantato

Smaller Needles And Thread

I'm new to leatherworking and I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for clearly described. I bought a basic needle work kit off of tandy and it came with these dull and relatively large needles and thread. What I'm wondering is if there is a more thin thread and finer needles that are often used for hand stitching?

Thanks

I buy my needles at walmart (multi needle pack for about $2) and use either the smallest pair or the next smallest pair. I get my waxed linen from Hobby Lobby, "On a string" brand...white, black, or brown.

The dull needles are for sewing...they're dull so that when you go through a stitch hole, the blunt needle won't pierce an existing thread, it will go around it. I just buy sharp needles and file the tip down a little, or be careful when sewing.

The ones from Tandy are of the correct type (blunt tip, egg-eye harness needles) but far too large. They are 000 size. For comparison the largest I use are 2 size needles but usually 4 size. 000 size is like stitching with crowbars. You can get proper size ones from several of the better leather supply places such as Springfield.

the 000s seem to be good when you are using 5ply or higher thread. For 4ply or 332 to 432 thread, the #2s work well. For smaller 532-832 thread the #4 are best, imo.

size difference between them in case you want it by the numbers.

Size 2

55mm length x 1.02mm diameter

Size 4

50mm length x 0.86mm diameter

PS- size 1-3 are the same needle size (in John James anyway). They're just numbered differently depending on where you live.

the 000s seem to be good when you are using 5ply or higher thread. For 4ply or 332 to 432 thread, the #2s work well. For smaller 532-832 thread the #4 are best, imo.

size difference between them in case you want it by the numbers.

Size 2

55mm length x 1.02mm diameter

Size 4

50mm length x 0.86mm diameter

PS- size 1-3 are the same needle size (in John James anyway). They're just numbered differently depending on where you live.

Can you link me to somewhere online that I can buy needles like this?

Also will I still thread the needle the same with these smaller sizes, such as where you push the needle through the middle of the thread and pull it over the eye on two needles at once?

The reason I use the regular needles and blunt the tip is that the eye is smaller than the egg eye needles. I've broken lots of the egg eye needles because I sew with very small holes - need pliers to get the threaded needle through.

Also will I still thread the needle the same with these smaller sizes, such as where you push the needle through the middle of the thread and pull it over the eye on two needles at once?

Your main issue with small needles will be threading the eye. You will most likely have to learn how to taper your thread ends. Makes things much easier, but is a little wrinkle few people seem to have picked up.

We carry thinner linen thread and needles and there's also Maine Thread and Royalwood.

For threading, you push through the middle in two or three little loops and then pull through. I think there was a video on another thread for saddle stitching which covers this.