Doug Mclean

Production line stamping tools ?

I know the older craftool stamps are made of a higher quality than some of the stuff out there today. What compares that is available now?

There are a few custom makers out there and they have been discussed at length elsewhere in the forum, I am sure a search would bring up a bunch of info for you. I only own Tandy Craftools so I can't comment on others, other that to say they are too expensive for me to afford. I have heard that they (tandy) are in the process of redesign and quality improvements on their stamps so maybe we will see some improvements soon. My main complaint is the flaking of the finish and the crispness of the stamped image. Hope this info helps a bit. Jordan

Doug,

The closest to the craftools in price and a better quality impressions for the ones I have are CraftJapan. The Craft Japans I have are pretty good. Once you get past that, then for price, quality, availability - Barry King. I like some of Chuck Smith's stamps, and they are about like Barry's pricewise. Up from that price-wise, Wayne Jueschke and Bob Beard.

I have been adding a few of Barry's stamps as I go. No doubt the quality is unsurpassed. I don't seem to get enough time spent doing leather work!! Seems like I get driven every year about this time. Wonder if it has anything to do with the weather ???

Does someone have these tools online? Would like to see the impressions.

Thanks.

Does someone have these tools online? Would like to see the impressions.

Thanks.

Here is a page scan from a 2002 Tandy catalog when they carried some Barry King tools. And here is a link to Montana Leather Company which shows the current lineup.

http://www.montanaleather.com/catalog/catalog/Barry_King-24-1.html

For chistmas I was lucky enuf to get a set of Gomph-Hackbarth Tools the tools are vary nice shaped and i would say as starters the mid price at 145 for 15 of them. Now Im not shere of the price of there others tools or if they have a cataloge but i just call them day hope to hear back from them soon. My wife ordered the set fron Seigel of CA.

Russ

I also recieved the basic set of 15 Gomph-Hackbarth tools for Christmas and love them! I have a variety of Craftools, Craft Japan, Kyoshin Elle, and some that say Taiwan or Ivan on them, but none of these compare to my new G-H tools.

I also recieved the basic set of 15 Gomph-Hackbarth tools for Christmas and love them! I have a variety of Craftools, Craft Japan, Kyoshin Elle, and some that say Taiwan or Ivan on them, but none of these compare to my new G-H tools.

I too got that very same set of 15 tools from G-H for Christmas, and I also bought a couple King stamps ( a Basketweave, and another stamp). Very well made stamps coming from both.

Much better than what Tandy is now making and selling.

Vikefan

check back the first of next month. The Texas saddle and boot show will be coming soon. I usually grab copies of the maker's individual tool impression sheets. I will scan them and post them up here along with photographs of the saddle & boot competition.