billymac814

Setting Rivits Without Access To Both Sides?

I need to make a pouch that matches another one that was made by someone else and there are rivits that hold it together in the back, I'm not exactly sure how to set the rivits since the inside is quite small and deep, my thought was to cut a piece of hard wood that fits inside and hopefully be able to set the rivits against it, but I'm not sure if that's the easiest way of doing it, I might be overlooking some simple solution too so I figured I'd run it by everyone.

I didn't make this pouch but this is what I mean, the rivits on the bottom pouch are the ones I need to set.

I want to match the design of this one but do it in a higher quality finished product.

post-13797-034393900 1299446036_thumb.jp

post-13797-092584200 1299446054_thumb.jp

The Tandy snap/rivet setting tool kit comes with a long narrow anvil that would fit inside that pouch. Use needle-nose pliers to get the post down there, push the cap on it, slide the anvil down there and set it.

You could use a screw post or pop rivet.

Do a good layout, and attach them before it is stitched up.

I made my own anvil for doing this and other things, but you can just get apiece of steel and run it down inside.Dave

I made my own anvil for doing this and other things, but you can just get apiece of steel and run it down inside.Dave

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was figuring, I was hoping maybe I was overlooking an easier way of doing it.

I don't think there is a way to attach them all before it's put together, not all of them anyway.

You will have to put them in backwards doing it that way, won't you?

I've never tried seating a rivet by pounding on the cap.