What's the deal with getting quality, sharp awls for hand stitching? Tandy's are almost useless, dull right out the package. Osborne's are not much better, although they used to be good. I had to sharpen them extensively to use them. Does anybody have a source for good quality sharp diamond awls for hand stitching? Thanks, Steve

I had the same experience with Tandy. Not knowing any better at the time, I tried using the awl as it was ... Totally frustrating. It didn't take long to figure out that something was wrong! It then took a LOT of work to make the damned thing usable. And I still didn't like the way it worked. So ...

I bought three different sizes of Seiwa awls from goodsjapan, and they arrived in a reasonably sharp state. http://www.goodsjapan.jp/category/awls/catId=4252437

A little extra sharpening and stropping made them quite good. The blades are a little shorter than some and straight sided, but they will easily go through over 1/2 inch of leather. If you do order from goodsjapan, just be prepared for a potentially long wait with the free shipping option. Paid shipping is much faster and worthwhile if you're in a hurry.

There are other sources for awl blades and awls that are said to be good and ready to use upon arrival. Barry King has some. Sheridan Leather sells Douglas blades that are supposed to be good as well.

Hope that helps

Bill

I have the Douglas awl blade and it came very sharp and it works well.

MaineThread.com has Osborne awls and a good selection of needles at a very reasonable price (for good tools). I can recommend them.

I would absolutely support Bob Blea's opinion on Bob Douglas's awls (http://www.sheridanleather.com/Douglas_Tools_s/1632.htm). I have several and they work very well. They also fit the Osborne awl haft quite well. You might also find Nigel Armitage's YouTube video in sharpening awls quite useful (www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvY9beqObiQ).