Sign in to follow this  
David

The Columbus show and some new stuff

Hey all,

The Columbus show was terrific fun and I learned a bunch and met some great folks. Met Jim Linnell of Tandy for the second time and had dinner with the Tandy folks. I also met Chan Geer....what a great fellow he is. Very friendly folks indeed.

Had the additional pleasure of winning a few ribbons which is always nice too.

I'll post some pics here. I hope to have some better ones soon. The exhibition rooms are not really good for taking pictures. The aisles are narrow and crowded.

The piece of flat art is a prototype for a new seat and was something really out of my comfort zone.

By all means try to come to next year's show....it is in Indy.

Dave Theobald

P1010011.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010064.jpg

post-5652-1223153463_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1223153478_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1223153511_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Lovely work, David - congratulations on your success!

Congrats Davisd:-)

I had the pleassure to see your things close up, absolutly great and well deserved ribbons :clapping:

Thanks Tina,

I'm not sure how we both managed to be there and not meet one another....Thought I met most of the LW folks.....we'll meet next year in Indy.

Dave

Thanks Tina,

I'm not sure how we both managed to be there and not meet one another....Thought I met most of the LW folks.....we'll meet next year in Indy.

Dave

Dave,

Really nice work. Folks, the camera does not do it justice. So if you like the photos, the real McCoy is even better.

I'm glad I got to at least say howdy!

Brent

Dave,

Really nice work. Folks, the camera does not do it justice. So if you like the photos, the real McCoy is even better.

I'm glad I got to at least say howdy!

Brent

Hey Brent,

It was great to finally meet you. Thanks for giving my wife and myself a brief explanation of judging... Hope to see you many more times at the shows.

Dave

Congratulations, Dave! I got to see these beautiful pieces up close, and the pictures just do not do them justice. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet. Ohh- if that little spot on the koi fish seat is still there - it's just drool.... :blush: .... sorry.

Crystal

I too am sorry our paths didn't cross. Your work is out standing and looks better in real life. I saw Johanna at a distance, but didn't get the chance to say hi to her. I'll be at the Indy show come high water or heat, hope to see everybody there.

Congratulations David!

Those seats looks very fine and crisp so well deserved ribbons!

Tom

right on dave!! :thumbsup: ...someday i'd like to give a show a go...but a wee bit more practice first ;0)

darryl

Congrats Dave!

Was the "flat" art out of your comfort zone because it wasn't a seat?

Great work on all 3 pieces.

Johnny

Congrats Dave!

Was the "flat" art out of your comfort zone because it wasn't a seat?

Great work on all 3 pieces.

Johnny

Johnny,

I think the flat piece just felt so different while I was working on it. And then I tried a Chan Geer finishing technique.... which I completely botched. NOTE TO SELF.... next time

watch the video again BEFORE you start applying the finish! ha

David Theobald

Dave...

I too met Jim and Chan in classes that I took from them. They are terrific artists and great guys. I sure learned a lot from them.

I loved your seats. They deserved their ribbons. You might want to flip your dragon seat over and show the peeps, the wonderful little carving on the BOTTOM of the seat as well as the excellent craftsmanship in the places that people normally don't look.

You create first class work.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by Bree

Thanks Tina,

Dave

Hi David,

I did see you getting the award but it wasnt a good idea to jump up and say hi at that moment...Later I could not find you.

I was one of the judges that judged your dragon seat, very nice work.

Randy

Dave...I too met Jim and Chan in classes that I took from them. They are terrific artists and great guys. I sure learned a lot from them.I loved your seats. They deserved their ribbons. You might want to flip your dragon seat over and show the peeps, the wonderful little carving on the BOTTOM of the seat as well as the excellent craftsmanship in the places that people normally don't look.You create first class work. :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:
Here is the back
I was one of the judges that judged your dragon seat, very nice work. Randy
Ahhh, Finally someone I can thank in person.Thanks so much Randy.Dave

IMG_0998.JPG

post-5652-1223289450_thumb.jpg

Like I said... the back of that seat is simply superior in its craftsmanship. Just outstanding work.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

congrats...well deserved

Dave, whats the finish on the samurai seat?

The samurai seat is edged in "saddle-tan" spirit dye with "buckskin" for the overall color. Then Sheridan antiquing paste to darken the tooling. Finally some leather balm with atom wax for the top finish.

All the dyes were applied with an airbrush for a smooth transition of colors.

David Theobald

Nice work Dave. I could not make it to the show, but I sent some work along with the Georgia Guild to show and compete.