Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

Japanese Swords/saya

I am mainly asking here if someone would like to volunteer a saya, specifically so that I can test out an idea of mine for decorating it.

I would rather start with a tanto sized piece.

If anyone is in agreement, heres how I would like it to work, I talk to you about concepts and ideas that I can incorporate into it, then get to work designing it, I send you the pics then from there we can settle posts and costs and what not.

I am not asking for labouring fees on this job, it's a way for me to show off my portfoio.

I have a katana which I might just end up doing but I would need over 250metres of lace to do what I want for a piece this size.

But also more generally, any sword owners/practitioners, stick a response in and tell me if you would like a more decorative look available for it.

Thanks

8th

Traditionally every saya might be made for my part for each sword and the in shape would be be ideal, at least on the throat so it would be friction geared up. and you may notice almost every protect has as a minimum one regularly two symmetrical holes in it wherein the flat of the blade is far sufficient out shape the center that they arent blanketed through the saya whilst sheathed. this is for the small knife or hairpin that goes within the saya, but additionally so that you can run a twine or sageo through it which I have heard called a "peace tie". I don't understand how commonplace this was throughout records and wether this became best performed whilst storing the sword (you can find tanto swords at this site) or worn this manner, but it works as a pleasing safety.