cowpounder

granite block

I recently found where a person can buy a nice piece of granite. Go to e-bay and type in Granite surface plate-all catagory!!! You can buy these as small as a 6x6 inch up to four foot X ten foot. I bought mine which is a 24 in X 18 in. for $175.00 with a stand. This was on craigs list which is a local type of listing. I had my wife pick it up so the shipping cost me zero dollars. Just a word of caution-Check the shipping before you buy! I found one like mine for $49.99 buy it now. I checked the shipping and it was $399.00 to ship. But if you buy close to where you live you can get yourself a nice piece of rock to tool on. These granite surface plates are calibrated to as little as 5 tenths . They are used in machine shops to check parts for flatness. Hope this helps----Happy tooling

Grizzly has an 18" x 24" granite surface plate for $49.95 and the stand is $59.95.

http://grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=260040

I have one and I use it frequently. Excellent deal.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

If you go to a place that makes granite counter tops, you can almost always get sink cutouts for little to nothing. I got 2 for free.

I went to a monument place, and bought a 2 ft x 4 ft headstone for 40 bucks.

Lot cheaper than $175.

Marlon

I have several pieces of counter top material,but its too thin for me. I like a 3 to 4 in. slab it has more of a thud to it. The tombstone is great and I have heard that one before but havent found any in my area. Anyway hope this gives people an option.

Edited by cowpounder

Grizzly has an 18" x 24" granite surface plate for $49.95 and the stand is $59.95.

Bree, thanks for the info. I would have never thought about looking at Grizzly for this product. Again, I appreciate it.

ATX

I have several pieces of counter top material,but its too thin for me. I like a 3 to 4 in. slab it has more of a thud to it. The tombstone is great and I have heard that one before but havent found any in my area. Anyway hope this gives people an option.

what area do you live in? I thought that all places had a place that made headstones. Look in your local phone book (yellow pages) for Monuments. They always have scraps and mistakes that they can't sell.

Marlon

Edited by Rawhide

Bree, thanks for the info. I would have never thought about looking at Grizzly for this product. Again, I appreciate it.

ATX

No worries Mon! It is amazing that the stand costs more than the plate!! It is a very heavy stand to be sure.

heck look for the places making fancy counter tops the have the knock outs for sinks and stuff i was given a 16x16 peace of black granite. I was going to see if i could get enuf to do the bath room floor. lol

Russ

I've never had to pay for anything off the scrap pile at any monument yard. Sometimes the nice men will even put them in the truck for me. They always have a few that chipped, or they made a mistake, or there is some flaw you don't give a flip about. Someone should go to my old house in Georgia. We had so many we used them as stones outside the doors, like thresholds. I have a huge red granite one performing the same function on the south barn door here in Ohio. There are a couple in the shop, but they take up space, and how many do you need? (For me it would be the only one directly under the light!)

Glue a piece of Poundo board to the bottom if you don't plan to use it as an inset to your bench. It cuts down on the noise, makes them easier to slide when they need moved and somehow stabilizes the stone so it is not as likely to fracture.

Johanna

Lot cheaper than $175.

Marlon

Good tip and good thinking:-)

Now that's planning ahead....probably be the only Sheridan headstone in the whole dang cemetary.

Now that's planning ahead....probably be the only Sheridan headstone in the whole dang cemetary.

Using the petal lifter is a bitch, though. ;)

A friend of mine re-did his counters and I got a piece from him and cut it then put it in my bench.

Art

WS3.jpg

post-195-1224074822_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArtS

Hi,

In the UK leather industry, they always used old lithographic printing stones!

Steve

That's a really good price for the plate. Shipping is a killer though... brings it to over $110.

I bought two 12"x18"x3" pieces for $24 each from Enco and used a free shipping code which is easily found via google. The catch was... the items had to be shipped UPS which limited anything larger than the sizes I bought due to weight. I couldnt imagine trying to move anything larger... 18"x24" is 180lbs.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=...PMITEM=640-0140

Edited by jeeperaz

That's a really good price for the plate. Shipping is a killer though... brings it to over $110.

I bought two 12"x18"x3" pieces for $24 each from Enco and used a free shipping code which is easily found via google. The catch was... the items had to be shipped UPS which limited anything larger than the sizes I bought due to weight. I couldnt imagine trying to move anything larger... 18"x24" is 180lbs.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=...PMITEM=640-0140

Yeah... I went down to Muncie, PA and picked mine up along with other woodworking equipment. i just bought a bunch of stuff from Weaver and may have to run down there to pick it up if the shipping is outrageous. Will know Monday.

:blush: