Sign in to follow this  
Wraith

Clutch Finish Idea Help Needed

Only been doing leather work for about a year now. Unfortunately my artistic ability is limited. I can take patterns and pictures and put them on leather but I have a hard time with choosing colors and finishes.

On this piece I am not sure whether or not to dye it and if so what color. I know once I put the dye on there is no turning back so I am stuck. Bad enough the green spattered at some point and I didn't realize it until it was already dry.

Any critiques and suggestions welcome.

post-18932-0-65773700-1353682829_thumb.j

You've kind of limited yourself on what you can do because you've started the dyeing process around the floral section.

I see some possibilities, though. First, make a border around the dyed section to make a nice visual 'end' it. Then, just seal the rest of it and leave it natural. That's probably the easiest and quickest way to go.

The other thing I could see for this is to use a small brush and apply a sealer to everything in the initials...at least twice to make sure you have a good coat on it (and to use it as a resist) then dye over the rest of the piece.

Actuallly, the point of "custom" is you're not doing what everybody else is doing - :)

That's actually some carefully placed color, so you must have a pretty steady hand! Looks like you tried to 'buff out' the "oops", which only makes it more obvious. Oil, antique, and such, will only magnify this area, so I'd color it (or tool that area further). I personally like pale color more than heavy shades, but like I said that's preference (and I NEVER use any 'antique').

Thank you for your suggestions. I opted to leave the rest of it natural.

Thank you for the compliment on the coloring. Defiantly learned my lesson on trying to clean up the oops. Won't be doing that again.