pete

Horse Butts

I asked earlier but got no definitive responses. Can you tool horse butts/ is it too difficult/does it burnish/ etc? I;m thinking of small projects but don't want "carpal tunnel" from a $30.00 wallet!!!!

pete

I asked earlier but got no definitive responses. Can you tool horse butts/ is it too difficult/does it burnish/ etc? I;m thinking of small projects but don't want "carpal tunnel" from a $30.00 wallet!!!!

pete

Yes you can. I use it all the time and I have to say it's like butter. Just don't tell your customers it's horse leather. Upsets some people.

Yes you can. I use it all the time and I have to say it's like butter. Just don't tell your customers it's horse leather. Upsets some people.

thanks so much. What do you use it for, and when making wallets, etc do you use the same oz. weights?

pete

Personally I use it more for personal or shop projects. Tool sheaths, handle straps, like that. I've also used to for some wrist bands and the like. Yes, you would use the same weight leather as you would for anything else. As JJ said though, gauge your customers. Some people will just laugh if you tell them their wallet was once a horses backside. Other people might be upset. Besides it typically being stiffer and a bit different in color, the opinion issue is the only major difference between horse and cow leather you should really notice.

I haven't used much of the unfinished Butts but I have used many of the Shell Cordovan from Horween. Makes beautiful wallets that fetch very good prices.

The casing of the butts is a little different. This leather is extremely close/tight grained. Requires a little longer time in the casing solution to make it work great.

ferg

pete

thanks so much. What do you use it for, and when making wallets, etc do you use the same oz. weights?

pete

I use it mainly for holsters, it tools well, and use the same oz. weight.. Can't recall making any wallets with it..

Texans are very fond of their horses, it's like one of the family. Therefore, I say very little about the leather being horse-butt until I figure them out. I have been told there are no more slaughterhouses for horses in Texas anymore because of this attachment.

All horse owners are usually fond of their horses. I wouldn't use it if someone paid me to take it and it tooled itself. I realize the incongruity of how I feel but it's how I feel.

Horsehide is very dense, compared to cowhide. Moisture absorption is minimal and very slow, so casing requires additional time and effort.

In my experience, horsehide takes nice impressions (very clean and sharp) such as stamping, but the results are quite shallow because of the density of the leather. I asked my carver ( who specializes in the Sheridan style) to try a sample piece, and he reported that it was not at all satisfactory because of the density that does not allow for molding and sculpting the leather.

All horse owners are usually fond of their horses. I wouldn't use it if someone paid me to take it and it tooled itself. I realize the incongruity of how I feel but it's how I feel.

Im a horse owner and compete with my horses. I would love to make a nice horse wallet or spur straps for me. A saddle may be a bit out of line though.

To each his own. I'll stick to the things I'm comfortable with.

I replied on your other thread, with some pictures of the wallets I have made. You absoulutely can tool the horse butt strips. Case them a little longer, and hit the mallet a little harder. I have had some customers not want anything to do with horsehide, and some that seek me out because I use it. To each thier own.