TJFlora

How Is That Possible?

Hey all, i'm realtively new to this site but am finding it really helpful. Thanx to all who have tried pointing me in the right direction.

I figure I would put this under biker gear 'cause most of the amazing stuff that I see is on seats and i'm trying to take my art in that direction. Any help or guidance on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a few pics of some really awesome work that I can't figure out for the life of me how it was done. I wonder if any of yall have some pointers.

post-17966-048149000 1291058480_thumb.jp

This ones got me pretty baffled. I have no idea how there is dark in the tool impressions of the woman's body but the rest of her remains clean. Or are they paint and not tool marks? Or was antique added with a tiny brush to those spots? Or the face... is that tooled and painted/dyed, or just painted?

post-17966-039686100 1291058701_thumb.jp

I have a feeling that most of my answers lay in this piece that appears to be half finished. I can't tell but it looks like the chin/cheek line was knifed but the eyes/nose/lips and all that were done with maybe a spoon and then it looks as though it's been colored with a fine pen. I don't know.

post-17966-014562000 1291058952_thumb.jp

I really like this one. Can't tell how the eyes were done. Looks like a figure beveler or jst some good spoon work on the nose and body.

post-17966-061642400 1291059232_thumb.jp

Cant tell whats paint and whats dye.

beautiful art work...but it doesn't look very durable. i guess for show bikes it doesn't matter too much.

which website did the last pic come from?

ken

That last one is pretty cool eh? It's a DreamEvil seat. So what is it that's not durable about these anyway? The paint? Does paint come off after being subjected to biker ass? Does the dye come off? You mean to tell me that all this awesome artwork on all these crazy expensive seats won't last?

If it's on a motorcycle that gets ridden much, there will be a lot of rubbing on the seat. denim jeans can be pretty abrasive (that's why denim is good for slicking edges). So if the paint doesn't penetrate into the leather but only sits on top, it won't take long before it starts rubbing away.

i think much of the color on the seats you posted is from dye. but my guess is all of the white is from acrylic paint. and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

ken

That last one is pretty cool eh? It's a DreamEvil seat. So what is it that's not durable about these anyway? The paint? Does paint come off after being subjected to biker ass? Does the dye come off? You mean to tell me that all this awesome artwork on all these crazy expensive seats won't last?

If you like that sort of thing. The coloring. Yes.Yes.Yes and yes if you actually ride the bike and not just push it up and down the ramp of a trailer.

Edited by bustedlifter

Well, the way I do all my colors,are dye, most of the time, I love dye, cuz it is better at holding up! Sometimes I have to use acrylics, which are ok to use , but, if this item is folded, sat upon, and movement of any type, then , dyes are a must!!! Here in california, they took away my alcohol based dyes!!!! I have come to the realization that,, eco flow is actually pretty good. I have always loved the fiebings alcohol based types, but, we have too many radical environmentalists that make these wonderful regulations! I can still get alcohol based dyes, I just go through this one place I do subcontractor werx for!! But, colors are limited, so having to be forced to use water based ones are different, but, not impossible! I will go a whole stair case outside the box,{ instaed of a step outside the box} and, make my own dyes, I will use the biggest permanent marker pens, along with denatured alcohol, and make the color I really want to best of my available ability!!! Once I have said dye color I really admire, I use many different paint brushes, also, I have to use one other thing , This one is very important!!! patience!! There is nothing like dyeing and attempting to go to fast and realizing, either it becomes black, or I get to start all over on that project!!! WOW!! patience is soooo much better to use!!! I really have learned the hard way, and still do!!!