lachopperboy

Difference Between Fiebing Antique Finish And Antique Leather Stain?

hi everybody

i am a fairly new leather enthusiast, i have been working on tooling and carving for a while now and finally i have decided to put a finish on some of the pieces. When i looked into finishes and all, i have noticed that everybody has good things to say about Fiebing, esp the antique finishes that i am interested in but i have noticed that Fiebing has 2 different variations of antique finish.

#1 is called Antique Finish

#2 is Called Antique Leather Stain

pictures below

i was hoping if someone could tell me the difference between the two and which one do you prefer? and why?

if any of you can help me whit this task i would surely appreciate it.

thanks and i will look forward to hear your opinions and ideas.

P.S: if you prefer any other antique finish please let me know as well i am interested to know about those as well.

post-26524-0-33423000-1357795386_thumb.j

post-26524-0-84072900-1357795579_thumb.j

the stain is a liquid that you would put on by either dipping, sponge, dauber, etc....I imagine if you thinned it enough you might be able to spray it.....I don't use it so I am not sure...

the finish is a paste...........I use this one exclusively..........but not the black. The paste is less messy and easier to get a uniform color with it.

JMHO

Mike

I was just looking for an answer to this but unfortunately I bought the stain before finding the answer (should be arriving this week). I have a follow up questions. I've done some tooling/stamping and bought the stain, some acrylic paints, and a resolene to finish with. On my design I don't want to stain it, so do I put resolene over the acrylic painted / natural areas then rub on the stain and then finish with resolene again?

Also do I put the stain on the sides (Done some bookmarks/coasters/key fob type things) and resolene on that as well

What about the Back of the item? Some Tan Kote and Resolene?

Thanks