CDAArtlady

Second Attempt (Practice On Bracelet Blank)

This is my 1st time beveling the first one I did was mostly 3d stamps.

post-46803-0-68301900-1389150648_thumb.j

Not bad for a first attempt at carving and beveling. The bevelling looks a little choppy in places but that will get smoother with practice. The biggest thing I see is that your swivel knife cuts don't look very smooth. Your curves have lots of flat spots in them making your flowers and leaves look a little off. Again, practice will be the big help for you. Try making gentle curving cuts with your swivel knife on some scrap leather, and concentrate on making the curves as smooth as possible. Also, make sure that the knive is actually sharp and well stropped. That will make it much easier to cut smooth lines.

Keep it up, your off to a good start!

Bob

Thanks so much for the critique Bob.I really appreciate it !A lot easier to learn with constructive feedback. You are too kind imo on the beveling, its not a bit choppy its really ragged :)

I will keep practicing & will conquer that darn swivel knife if it kills me.It feels very awkward, my brain is used to drawing pencils.

Could you elaborate what you mean by flat spots? I think I know what you mean but not sure

I will keep practicing & will conquer that darn swivel knife if it kills me.It feels very awkward, my brain is used to drawing pencils.

Could you elaborate what you mean by flat spots? I think I know what you mean but not sure

I apologize it took a while to get back to you. The flat spots are probably most noticeable on the flower closest to the camera in the picture. On the petals of that flower the cuts were not smooth rounded curves like you would expect, but instead they have kind of straight edges. I noticed this somewhat on the leaves as well.

Bob

No problem Bob appreciate the help :) That makes sense thank you for clarifying.Spent all day yesterday just drawing curves with the knife and bevel practice