Sign in to follow this  
Maus

Realistic Fur?

I'm working on a bunch of animal masks right now, and realized I've done all of them stylized and not one realistic one. I'd like to do one like that. So I looked into figure carving finese... and that helped a little. But the fur patterns he's dealing with are at a much smaller scale than what I am working on. Also I'm lacking some of those tools. I've thought about scoring some in with my stylus but I'm just afraid that is not going to give that proper three dimensional look of fur.

So basically what I'd like some advice on is how to get a large scale realistic fur texture. has anyone done this before?

I'm working on a bunch of animal masks right now, and realized I've done all of them stylized and not one realistic one. I'd like to do one like that. So I looked into figure carving finese... and that helped a little. But the fur patterns he's dealing with are at a much smaller scale than what I am working on. Also I'm lacking some of those tools. I've thought about scoring some in with my stylus but I'm just afraid that is not going to give that proper three dimensional look of fur.

So basically what I'd like some advice on is how to get a large scale realistic fur texture. has anyone done this before?

Try studying the technique used by Andrea at Merimask. She does a lot of realistic animal masks. I believe she does it all with just a swivel knife and creative painting.

Here's a good example of the work she does:

Leather_Coyote_Mask_2%2380D15.jpg

Hope this helps!

-Mike

There are a lot of different ways to create hair texture. One that I think gives the most realistic texture uses a hairing knife that holds several X-acto knife blades. That combined with a scalpel allows you to create individual hairs that actually stand up off the background. Hereis a tutorial I did a couple years ago here on the forum that will give you an idea how it can be done.

Wow.

That was a great tutorial... I'm a little intimidated by it but that was exactly the look I was hoping for! I'll have to give that a shot. I have a hair blade tool, but mine doesn't look like yours, I got mine from tandy so I don't recall if it has the pointed parts on it so I can use it up side down like you did to make the very short hairs. any recommendation as to how to do that without that? I'm assuming the slow method of a scalpel but I wouldn't mind advice from a pro.

I have used a straight lined per shader a couple of times to make hair. It wasn't anywhere as detailed as Clay's but it looked pretty good. I just took short pulls trying to go the way hair would naturally grow because it all doesn't go in the same direction.

I have used a straight lined per shader a couple of times to make hair. It wasn't anywhere as detailed as Clay's but it looked pretty good. I just took short pulls trying to go the way hair would naturally grow because it all doesn't go in the same direction.

Thats not a bad idea. A lined beveler has been on my want list. I figured it'd be a good tool for doing feathers. I made a mask that I hand cut all the feathers, but to give them the right texture I used a hairblade tool-- and I can't help but think the lined beveler would have not only been easier- but would have caused a lot less colourful words to cross my lips while working on it.

You can make a simple version of a hairing knife. Take a piece of 1/2 inch diameter wooden dowel and cut it about 3 inches long. Then drill a 1/4 inch hole in one end about 1/2 inch deep. Fill that hole with 2 part epoxy. Before the epoxy has a chance to set up, insert 5 exacto knife blades into the hole. Be careful inserting the blades. You want all 5 blades to be even in the hole. I've found that you can push them against the edge of your tooling slab to line them up. Once you have them in place, wait for the epoxy to set up. Doesn't cost much (money or time) to make one of these and they work pretty well. Jan Schoonover sells a hairing knife that he has made out of a modified Craftool swivel knife if you don't want to make your own. I think they sell for around $65.

Thats some great advice. I'll have to see if the wood shop on base has any dowels. Most stuff I need is hard to get my hands on out here- I may have to go the 65 dollar route, but I'd rather try to make my own. The mask that I'm hoping to texture is that of my parents dog- a Doberman Pincher named Castle, so I want to try to get a good look for the shorter style of hair... So I'm thinking to do this a making several short length cuts (maybe a half a centimeter or so) that go in the direction of the fur would be about right. What do you guys think? (sorry for so long a delay in responding-- the computer and technology Gods Reaaaaally dislike me.)

Sounds like you are on the right track. To get realistic looking hair, you need to pay attention to direction and length. It's a good idea to have pictures of the animal you are trying to recreate and study the hair direction. Cut the hair with short strokes of the knife (or whatever tool you decide to use) and change directions using the pictures as a guide. Looking forward to seeing how your mask turns out.