Sign in to follow this  
bustedlifter

Stuck in a rut with some color

I was looking at the seat I made for my bike and thought the rivets were too close to the edge, so I made a new seat with the rivets closer to the inside.I think it looks better. In another thread on this board abn mentioned that my work had some black but left the leather natural. Well I put some color on it for a change. I know it will wear off rather quickly but that's cool, I can deal with it.

74more.jpgDSCF1523.JPG

The first is on the left. I got my greasy hands on the second one when I was installing my new set of kickstarter gears.I should have waited to put it on after I was done.

I have a couple more items I made but the people haven't received them yet, so I'll post them later.

post-1704-1203375502_thumb.jpg

post-1704-1203375632_thumb.jpg

It looks very good.

The second one looks better. The color makes it stand out. You said you knew it would wear off quickly. What did you use?

The second one looks better. The color makes it stand out. You said you knew it would wear off quickly. What did you use?

Thanks. I used Fiebing's oil dye thinned out with some reducer.I've put color on seats in the past and it wears off pretty quick.

I like it with the color!

question, on a piece of leather that will see a lot of use, a bike seat for example, would a checkered bevel hold the color longer than a smooth bevel?

question, on a piece of leather that will see a lot of use, a bike seat for example, would a checkered bevel hold the color longer than a smooth bevel?

Good question that I don't know the answer to. Maybe someone who has more experience like Dave or Beez or maybe one of the saddlemakers on here could answer that.