So I found an awesome new resist in the most unlikely of places. Liquid latex from your local adult...store. :blink: I started doing a combination of black dye and natural leather coloring for my motorcycle accessories. I wanted to keep my tooling natural but provide a black dyed background. The problem was brush flicks and careless hand placement would leave unsightly smudges and polka dots. Another member suggested using rubber cement, which does also work but it's difficult to remove from intricate tooling with an eraser. The liquid latex brushes right on and peels right off, no problem! The only downside is that the latex is suspended in ammonia, which discolors the natural leather and gives it a nice "aged" look (which I like). Necessity is the mother of invention.

This caused me to remember that I had some liquid latex leftover from another project I did some time ago. It's a product by a company called Woodland Scenics, made for making molds with, and you can buy it at any hobby store that sells model railroading stuff. It has a fairly heavy, creamy texture to it, but thin enough to brush on.

Anyway, I tried some of this as a dye resist on a small project, and it worked very well. It resisted the dye perfectly, and came right off the leather with a little rubbing.

I didn't notice any harsh odors from it when I was using it, or any effect on the leather other than a slight appearance of dampness, which disappeared after awhile.

Kate

Any pics of this being used? Sounds interesting but I think if I told my wife I had to run to the "AHEM" book store for some liquid latex to use on my leather projects, hahahah that would go over like hookers in a convent.

I'll be doing a small project this weekend that I'd like to use it on... I'll snap some photos while I'm doing it.

Kate

HAHA, yeah it's fantastic stuff. Maybe the stuff I have is different, I'll see if I can dig up a camera and post some pics.

Heheh! I guess I could have been a little more specific, yes? Hate to disappoint you, but the photos are going to show how I use latex (which I bought from a hobby store) as a dye resist on leather. Not sure if I will get to it today, though...

Kate

Edited by CitizenKate
missed a point

Kate did you use the liquid latex on the chess boards you made??

very clean lines!

Skip, there are quite a few different methods to mask out areas from dye spray.

When dealing with straight lines, I just use "purple" painters masking tape. (Low tack, pulls up easily without disturbing the grain too much.)

On some designs, I create a custom mask by printing the design on some page-sized labels, then cutting out the design with an Xacto knife or swivel knife, then removing the backing and laying the mask over the leather.

I've just recently started experimenting with the latex, and so far it seems to be great on very intricate designs where a cut-out mask is not practical, either because it's too intricate or because I don't have artwork I can print out for a label mask. One of the things it's great for is masking out areas created by stamped patterns for which I have no artwork.

Kate

totaly awsome guys, thank you,,i learned a new tool

now all i gotta do is go down to the XXX store and act like a creepy old guy wanting some kinky stuff lol

oh,,I have another question,,

can you apply the liquid latex over a colored area of leather for a second round of coloring the leather??

Heheh! I guess I could have been a little more specific, yes? Hate to disappoint you, but the photos are going to show how I use latex (which I bought from a hobby store) as a dye resist on leather.

Does that mean Kate has other hobbies besides leatherwork?????? Sorry, Freak's been quiet so I'm filling in for him.

oh,,I have another question,,

can you apply the liquid latex over a colored area of leather for a second round of coloring the leather??

Yes you can, the latex doesn't affect the dye at all.

now all i gotta do is go down to the XXX store and act like a creepy old guy wanting some kinky stuff lol

You can find this stuff everywhere online. I think there's different "grades" of it. I'm no expert in this area but I think Kate's stuff is probably better for leather working because the stuff I had is really smelly and discolors the leather slightly.

Guess I'm busted! :evillaugh:

Does that mean Kate has other hobbies besides leatherwork?????? Sorry, Freak's been quiet so I'm filling in for him.

Here's a link to the product I'm trying out: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKU28

Kate

Kate,

The product description is very interesting. Sounds like it could be used to effectively make a "craftaide-like" duplicate of a carving. What are your thoughts?

Good thought, but a latex mold is a very flexible mold, used mainly for liquid castings, but too soft to make an impression in leather. It takes something that is more rigid when it cures.

I've also tried making a casting of my carving using the liquid resin you can also buy at hobby stores. It is rigid enough, but too brittle.

Kate

The product description is very interesting. Sounds like it could be used to effectively make a "craftaide-like" duplicate of a carving. What are your thoughts?

I posted some photos on this thread (of how to use latex rubber for leather work, that is). This little idea of gearsmithy's turned out to be pretty useful.

Kate

I know how you feel....

Woodland Scenics list Hobby Lobby as one of thier dealers.