Froghunter

Skulls to tell time by.....

So I came up with an idea for a workshop on how to make a Leather clock. We held the first class yesterday at the store and although I only had one craftsperson there it was a rousing success.

Here is my design and I will post pics of the attendees after it is finished (and I get permission)

I don't know What colors I am going with yet, but I did punch the big hole for the clock works right in the center of it all right after this pic was taken. (ya know...that's a hard thing to do!)

The design is simple, a square piece of leather, put down your design, v-gouge the sides, fold over and stitch..... Now to decide on a finish.....

New_clock_1.jpg

new_clock_2.jpg

post-5734-1210503099_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1210503123_thumb.jpg

WAY COOL !!

Sheridan Skulls. Can't wait to see it finished.

I am truly impressed. This style of yours is developing into something incredible.

thats gonna be a real cool ,when its finished.should do a tutorial on this!

:You_Rock_Emoticon: That is very nice,I like it all,but that 6 o'clock skull is the best.Moon

Wow, Ken, this is really neat! Love them skulls in the center, especially the one at the bottom. Yup, you've got this style going well. Looking forward to seeing the completed clock!

Neat-o, very original! At least I've never seen anything like it. Good job!

Killer!

Awesome. I really like the blending of designs.

Oh man, DANG THAT IS ONE COOL CLOCKto be :You_Rock_Emoticon:

The western cemetary floral on this one is the best up to date, I think. Just gotta love it. Nice touch with the crossbones on top of the frame.

Now you made me really feel like getting into a bit of floral practice.

Tom

Hi Ken,

The first time you did skulls with floral, I thought it was a great idea. But this time, WOW, that is a really GREAT project. Your work gets better and better each time you post something and I think this is the best one yet. On a carving that looks this good, I would suggest you consider keeping the natural look, maybe just oil it and then a coat of neat lac. If that is too light for you tastes, then add a coat of antique. Whatever you do though, it's a really cool piece!

Love it! That is some really nice work you did, and I have no doubt it was tough to punch a big hole in the middle of it.....the thought of that makes me sad...

TRICK!

The skulls and the floral just flow together.

This clock is going to be awesome!

Johnny

Yo Froghunter, I am truly a fan of your crossed styles. This looks awesome. I can totally see this style and design on a bag...hint hint...wink wink.

:deadsubject: LOL

I think you are striking out into some serious originality, my friend. I'm not a big fan of skulls, but I always appreciate original work, especially when it's as skillfully done as this.

Nice work!

PS: I wonder what Billy the Kid, or Doc Holliday would have thought of this....?

Kate

sweet work, its so much fun watching peoples styles develop and this style is so unique.

Beautiful piece of work Frog.

I like that a lot...and I'm not even into skulls

David Theobald

i like it. Can't wait to see it done.

KK

Hi,

Great work on the clock, Love the pattern. I wanted to ask a question (some what of a newbie here) I noticed on your leaf petals you have a nice looking pear shade (something I am always struggling with), do you "walk the tool" or is that just one hit? Mine always seem to look misshappen. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Hi,

Great work on the clock, Love the pattern. I wanted to ask a question (some what of a newbie here) I noticed on your leaf petals you have a nice looking pear shade (something I am always struggling with), do you "walk the tool" or is that just one hit? Mine always seem to look misshappen. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Tom, as a fairly unskilled and new carver, I do whatever feels right. Most leaves get a single shot, some get a bit of a walk after, depends on the width of the leaf. I was also given the tip to go in at the end of the project and give em one more shot to help give them more pop.

As far as I am concerned every piece I do is a practice piece, some get better, some don't. But carving is something I have a passion for, so practice is a good thing. Some day I hope to have half the talent as some of the individuals on this site!

My favorite thing is to do something different. I know there are "traditional" ways to do types of carving, but I don't thnk I have ever seen the "Wrong" way to do it.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words! I have decided to keep it light and add some antique to it. More pictures will follow soon I promise!

Tom, as a fairly unskilled and new carver, I do whatever feels right. Most leaves get a single shot, some get a bit of a walk after, depends on the width of the leaf. I was also given the tip to go in at the end of the project and give em one more shot to help give them more pop.

As far as I am concerned every piece I do is a practice piece, some get better, some don't. But carving is something I have a passion for, so practice is a good thing. Some day I hope to have half the talent as some of the individuals on this site!

My favorite thing is to do something different. I know there are "traditional" ways to do types of carving, but I don't thnk I have ever seen the "Wrong" way to do it.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words! I have decided to keep it light and add some antique to it. More pictures will follow soon I promise!

Hi Frog.

Your design is awesome, I really like the traditional carvings together with the "new stuff". Somehow, in an odd way it all make pefect sense :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by Tina

Im glad I ran across this site, Im always amazed at the talent and inginuity found here. I wish I could spend more time on here than I do.

Wonderful idea and an open market for it I might add. Great looking work.

Love it look forward to seeing completed

So I came up with an idea for a workshop on how to make a Leather clock. We held the first class yesterday at the store and although I only had one craftsperson there it was a rousing success.

Here is my design and I will post pics of the attendees after it is finished (and I get permission)

I don't know What colors I am going with yet, but I did punch the big hole for the clock works right in the center of it all right after this pic was taken. (ya know...that's a hard thing to do!)

The design is simple, a square piece of leather, put down your design, v-gouge the sides, fold over and stitch..... Now to decide on a finish.....

Very Cool! Where did you find the skulls at? "Sheridan skulls....I like that name." Please let us see what it looks like completed. Thanks for sharing.