Sumguy

Newbie Making Leather Washers

Hi,

I'm a noob to leather and am trying to start off by working on a project for my bicycle. What I'm trying to make are leather rings with an inside diameter of 20mm, outside diameter of 32mm. I saw a DIY project online where they've done this.

So I've bought some leather and a set of punches. The difficulty is that I think I've bought too thick a piece of leather - I bought 6 to 7 oz veg tanned. My punch is not going through very cleanly. (the original DIY project used leather off an old couch found out in the garbage - I'm cheap but not that cheap)

So my question is would dampening the leather.make the punching holes go easier? I need to make 90 of these 'washers' so I want it to go as easy as can be. It doesn't matter too much it the leather hardens or the finish is impacted - when complete you'd just see the edges.

I've also sharpened the punches as they weren't as sharp as my carving tools.

thx in advance

Handle the leather as you would for tempering, ready to carve. Makes the punching holes almost fun. LOL

ferg

50 years...

I'm enough of a newbie that you've lost me already. Can you expand on what you mean?

thx

Wet the leather---then let it dry till it starts to return to its original color, then punch your holes. Make sure you are doing this on a solid surface with no give to it. This is what I do and it makes cutting with a punch much easier.

Dry silicone spray works good on my clicker dies that aren't as sharp as they should be. I imagine it would help on your punches too. The stuff is hard to find. The last time I got some, I had to special order so I got 2 cans. Beeswax works too. take your punch and push it into a cake of beeswax. I use that a lot on my drive punches. The new punches sure aren't the same quality as the old ones. Old punches that are sharp and polished are a pleasure to use.

I think Big Sioux may have hit on the problem with the comment about the punches. I tried using crappy punches from Tandy and about pulled my hair out, I finally got wise and bought some high quality punches and with the better punches I can punch thru pretty much anything without much effort. Bruce Johnson has all sorts of punches on his web site, the ones I have bought have worked like a charm. SLC also sells punches from Osborne and they work great as well.

Thanks all,

I sharpened the punches with a diamond hone then a 1000x waterstone. That improved things and I was able to punch what I needed out in an hour. I now have 80 discs 32mm in diameter. Next up is to punch out the middle portion. Hopefully punching the inner hole will be even easier - I am cutting less leather this go round.

Have to agree with the comment on the tools - my set, which cost $25 on amazon, isn't great. The centre punch set screw won't hold and the punches were very dull. But even with what I've invested in tools and leather I will still be saving close to $80. And I still have close to 5 square feet of leather for my next project.

Great idea Johnv474! I can't believe I have never thought of that before. Makes me feel really stupid! Been doing leatherwork since I was 10 or 11 years old and I'm going to be 48 in August. I was helping my son make a knife handle today out of stacked leather pieces and some of my holes weren't perfectly centered. We are never too old or to experienced to learn. Have a great day!

Rub the inside of the Punches with Parafine it helps a lot...

Thanks everyone,

I got all the work done and mounted on the bike. I've very happy with the end results (pic below). A couple of learnings - my punches had a centre punch but it seemed to get off centre, that made the discs not 100% symmetrical. I would have also used 4-5 oz leather instead of the heavier 6-7 oz that I bought. While I would have needed more discs cutting them out would have been easier and I'd likely get a better result too.

I've done an initial sanding to take the sharp edges off. I'll wait another week and let the weather a bit/get rained on/absorb some sweat and do a final sanding. I don't want them perfectly smooth as I want some grip.

Next project is a top tube protector - it will give me some practice sewing with an awl. Better to learn on a rough and ready runabout bike instead of my wife's cell phone sleeve.

win_20140623_120721.jpg