Ani

Trying To Find The Value Of My Old Circle Y, Please Help

I have had my Circle Y saddle for about 15 years. I believe the person I got it from had had it since he was a kid. If that were the case it may be around 75 years old by now. I have barly ever used it since I tend to ride more English. It is time to sell it but I have no idea of the value since I can't find even one saddle that matchs it, and I have looked! Please help. Thank you

A picture would help. FYI if it is the same CIRCLE Y, Circle Y has been making saddles since the 1960's alittle over 50 years.

Here is a link on reading there serial number plates. If it is only one or two numbers that is actually the style but means that it was made in the 1960's because that is all the information they put on. http://www.3gemstack.com/servlet/the-2130/How-to-read-a/Detail

Edited by camano ridge

post-51711-0-76174000-1398819793_thumb.jpost-51711-0-08501700-1398819813_thumb.jpost-51711-0-76026100-1398819828_thumb.j

Edited by Ani

If it is as old as you guess, it is very lightly used. Lightly used for a 10-15 yr old saddle. Step 1; check the tree. Find out if it is a full rawhide covered tree in good condition. Step 2; check the gullet dimensions and bar configuration, if they are good for today's horse types then you can go on. If it doesn't pass step 1 & 2 it isn't worth much and not worth any further investment. If it has passed the first steps then either give it a thorough cleaning and oiling yourself or consider taking it to a shop and also getting the frog sewn back down in back. New strings would give it zing too. Then you will have $4-500 item for no hurry sale or $3-400 for quick sale. IMHO

This is a roping saddle so it should carry a higher value. The buck stitching was popular around 1970. The website will tell you when they starting using the metal plate to identify everything about the saddle, make, year, style, color, etc. Not sure when they started using the stamp on your saddle.

Just going by the look of this saddle I would guess it being made in late 60's to mid 70's, but definitely not 75 years old. I also would say, like toot, about $300-400. Even though it's a roping saddle, serious ropers aren't going to pay a bunch for it, because it's got some age on it, which means at the least, a couple different things. Even if the tree is in good condition, it doesn't have the strength of a newer saddle, and second, it's a look which is long out of style. Ropers like to be in style as much as anyone:-) Horn caps are smaller and horns set straighter, seats are flatter, and the roping saddles have a little more swell. That's for the arena saddles anyway. Look like a doggin' saddle. All of this does NOT mean it is not a good saddle, it just means it's probably worth about 300-400 bucks. But it's actually worth whatever you can get out of it, so I'd ask more to start with:-)

It appears mice have nibbled the rear seat jockey on the near side. This saddle is likely from the 60's, going by the style of the horn and the extra leather on the gullet. Saddles were very well made back then. I have a Simco roper from that era and it's one tough saddle. These saddles are well designed and reduce the jerk on the horse when a calf hits the rope. The extra leather on the forks protects them from the rope. Going by the market in my area I'd start at $650. People will try to talk you down so if you can get $500 you're doing ok. Not everyone appreciates a well made saddle, they go for the pretties.