jtrujillo707

Noob With Questions

hello guys and gals, im a complete noob to leather work. me and my girlfriend were looking at getting into this as a hobby we could do together, and possibly give the things we made as gifts.

What we were looking at making was mostly simple wallets,bags and maybe some belts. Like i said we are complete begginers , i have been reading trying to learn a little but still confused

. i wanted to buy some tools to get me started. i was looking at the kits on tandys. but i know like in most hobby's you get what you pay. i would rather buy one quality tool at a time. then to buy a cheap kit and have to buy twice.

i dont need anything top of the line but just good solid construction. i was wondering. what you guys here recommend i buy to get me started in this hobby. specifically to start making wallets,bags, belts.

i know its going to be hard but we accept the challenge to try to learn this craft. thank you for your time

J it depends on what kind of leather work you want to do. You can make wallets, belts and purses plain and that would change the tools you need. I seldom do any 'tooling' especially Sheridan flowery stuff and so what I use day in and out is a lot different than someone who does Sheridan tooling on wallets, belts etc. However a basic "7" will always come in handy whether you do Sheridan or not. That's a swivel knife, veiner, camo, beverler, etc. And you can get those anywhere, even Tandy to start out with. I would recommend you get a smaller beveler some where though because I never could bevel with the bulky one that came in the tandy 7.

However if I was starting over I would go to Bruce Johnson, a member on here and ask him some questions and let him sell you what you need after you have a clearer idea of what you want. He sells mostly vintage tools and they are so much better than most of the new ones.

His website is: http://brucejohnsonleather.com/ Cheryl

You're most welcome. If I can help more please PM me. Cheryl

I will check these links as soon as I can and see if I'd add anything to them. Cheryl

Well I was so tired when I saw this list that I didn't see you wrote the items out, I'm sorry. OK I've been doing this for 3 years and I don't have a hammer. My mallet does everything I need to do from punching holes to setting snaps. I would get a just use a box cutter or a craft knife. I got an olfa when I first started and and cut my index finger almost to the bone (ok that's operator error, LOL) but more importantly it dulled very fast and the blades are almost as much as a new knife. Also I just got a slicker given to me a couple months ago and have always burnished my edges with saddle soap and denim. Some people just use spit. You'd be better off waiting until you can get a drill press and then getting one that fits it. Actually you can use your bone folder to burnish edges because what you need is something that will build up heat while the leather edges are damp to get a smooth burnished look.

One thing I saw you left out was a swivel knife and a beveler. I just went and saw SLC has the basic 6 set with a swivel knife (and beveler) here http://springfieldleather.com/29330/Stamping-Tool-Set%2CSLC-Basic-7/ I think it's worth buying the basic six because you don't have to use them for Sheridan type tooling but the other five make nice edge designs, etc. I know you said you didn't want to do Sheridan but I still use these for other things. I'll post a couple of pictures.

Other than that I think you have everything to get off to a good start except leather. If you tell me what you want to try to make first I can help you with that too. BTW I get almost all my things from SLC. Really nice folks. Oh wait I forgot I would get a modeling spoon with a rounded point on the other end. I use the spoon to smooth out the beveling and the rounded tip on the other end to draw my designs on the leather. Well they don't have one tool like I have so I'm going to show you two, which I have one each on mine. http://springfieldleather.com/29154/Modeler%2CMed%2CLrg-Round-Spoon/ http://springfieldleather.com/29155/Modeler%2CMed%2CLrg-Pointed-Spoon/ You might want to look at Hobby Lobby etc. for this instead of buying two tools.

Oh and depending on what you want to make and what kind of leather you need I can help you with a few things to use to dye with.

post-27490-0-03538600-1415844035_thumb.j

post-27490-0-24335500-1415844058_thumb.j

Edited by DoubleC

hello guys and gals, im a complete noob to leather work. me and my girlfriend were looking at getting into this as a hobby we could do together, and possibly give the things we made as gifts.

What we were looking at making was mostly simple wallets,bags and maybe some belts. Like i said we are complete begginers , i have been reading trying to learn a little but still confused

. i wanted to buy some tools to get me started. i was looking at the kits on tandys. but i know like in most hobby's you get what you pay. i would rather buy one quality tool at a time. then to buy a cheap kit and have to buy twice.

i dont need anything top of the line but just good solid construction. i was wondering. what you guys here recommend i buy to get me started in this hobby. specifically to start making wallets,bags, belts.

i know its going to be hard but we accept the challenge to try to learn this craft. thank you for your time

If I may, . . . let me help you on this question.

There are a lot of people who start out in leatherwork, . . . spend some good hard earned money, . . . and then leave for a myriad of reasons, . . . and this is no different in any other hobby.

But in leatherwork, you can wind up with some money spent that is very hard to recoup.

Let me suggest that "this time" you go to say a Tandy store if there is one near you, . . . buy kits for the billfolds, belts, and bags you want to do. Those kits can be turned into some very beautiful gifts in a fairly short time, . . . some of the work is already done for you, . . . and with the enclosed instructions, . . . you will not be saddled with haveing to peruse the forum to find out "how do I do THIS"???

Belts come pre-embossed if you like, . . . or just blanks. Saves several steps, . . . and can save you a belt blank if you make a serious mistake in finishing or punching it out.

The same goes for bags and wallets.

Buy only the tools needed to complete the kits, . . . and if you have something at home that you can substitute for now, . . . use it. I had a little mallet that I used for the first several years before I finally ponied up real cash for one. I still use my drywall knife to cut 90% of my leather pieces. Only if it has to be "exact" and has some serious straight lines, . . . will I waste my time with a round knife or a rotary cutter, . . . they aren't worth a dime on intricate pieces.

And don't be too concerned about the quality of tools today, . . . a year from now if you are still with us, . . . yeah. Now, . . . seriously, it is not a good financial bet, simply because you do not know the direction you are going, and the tools you will need.

You can also buy the kits and the tools "on line" as well as the dyes, finishes, etc you will need.

That will also allow you more time to devote to actually doing the work, . . . which for me, always gives me a better and more beautiful finished product.

Good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, very good advice. Wish I'd thought of it. Cheryl

I used to work at a factory that made high end blinds. When I first started in leatherwork I had a scratch awl, some craft needles I got from WalMart, utility scissors a $20 hunk of leather, a snap set and rejected blind cord. Some of the first things I made were a holster and a multi-tool pouch. I showed the pouch to a fellow at work and he paid me to make one for him. Some people asked for holsters, knife sheaths and pouches.

As my confidence increased, I invested in more tools and stuff.

I made up a list of everything I eventually wanted to get. The only problem is the list keeps growing.

Edited by snubbyfan

You could look at my thread in 'Getting Started', 28 Oct 2014 'Cutting for beginners'.

I bought most of my tool on ebay. You can get good deals if your patient.