leathervan

Disappointed With My Round Knife

I find that my round knife doesn't work well on around 6oz leather give or take a few ounces. When I push the knife to make a cut the leather bunches up and I have to stop and straighten out the leather before proceding with the cutting. I think a round knife must be for real thick leather. It was real expensive to buy(Stohlman knife at Tandy). So if I don't use it then becomes wasted money. Also I think that I have more control with a regular utility knife. Anyone else have that experience or maybe I am doing something wrong when using it.

Yup....you may want to start by just polishing and stropping. If that doesn't work you should try and sharpen it.

I bought a Stohlman knife at Tandy last year. It sucked. The current ones are carp. Old ones might have been ok but current ones are not. Would not stay sharp no matter who sharpened it. They come dull. So they need to be sharpened first. I brought it back and stayed with my utility razor and roller knife. I suggest you try a different brand. Osborne makes a good one. Bruce Johnson, a moderator on this sight sells a lot of tools and usually has a few different brands. He would be a good source for a round knife.

Edited by mlapaglia

I'll give $5 for the stohlman knife ;-). But I think the roundknife needs some sharpning and stropping

I have 4 Stohlman round knives. The damascus one was almost sharp, the others had a poorly ground edge. They require a good stone sharpening to get the angle on the edge down to a fine taper, and then a serious stropping to get them to cut properly. But once sharp they still need to be stropped often, as they are not hard enough to really hold an edge. The damascus steel is better than the regular knives, but still only about Rc 57-58, as it can be cut with a file. Over Rc 60, most file won't touch it. Gump.

I have 2 of the small Stohlman round knives. I had a large one but never liked it always dull. The small came nice and sharp and has stayed that way. I think they have been discontinued. I prefer on my lighter leathers to use a roller knife. I would also suggest polishing the edge. Or just stay with what you are comfortable with.

Ive never had much luck with the Tandy knives. They seem to dull quickly and needed a good sharpening right off the bat. I would recommend getting rid of the tandy knife on eBay and investing in a better quality knife. I know Bruce Johnson sells some really nice ones that would go through leather like butter and for what they are, the price is very decent.

You are describing a dull knife, so you need to start by sharpening it. the Tandy knives are far from high quality steel, so even if you get it sharp it is likely to not hold an edge well.

Paul at Leather Wranglers sells awesome knives. It will arrive sharp and will hold an edge amazingly well.

Aaron

Already stated that it sounds like a dull knife, and in self interest I would be happy to recommend upgrading. Before you do I suggest you sharpen it well, use, sharpen, and repeat a couple times so in the event you upgrade you will understand the increased edge performance and you will also be adept at sharpening a round knife having gotten all the practice out of the way on the cheaper one.

tired of the quality of things purchased I made my own. its made of sawmill end cut blade (most likely L6 or 15N20 steel) it heat treated fine (triple heat treatment and temper) the handle is a micarta that was made for me by my wife. woah!!! the third pic is huge sorry! and the finish on the handle suits me the glass finish it had was to slick!!

post-19140-0-23990900-1408930756_thumb.j

post-19140-0-24281500-1408930842_thumb.j

post-19140-0-38236000-1408932673_thumb.j

Edited by stealfdawg

stealfdawg, that is one nice looking knife. I need to start making my own knives. Just have seen too many cool looking knifes and it makes me want to build my own. Something about making stuff yourself that has a different meaning than just buying one doesn't fill. I like making stuff for my own use.

I agree on the Tandy round knife not being of quality steel/metal. I have an older Tandy one that needs sharpening after every use. My vintage old Osborne round knife arrived so sharp that I have not re-sharpened it yet.