Sign in to follow this  
Tree Reaper

Clip For Eye Glass Case

Is there a smaller clip available for an eye glass case for a shirt pocket?

All I've seen are the belt clips, the smaller belt clips might work but they are a tad wide in the opening near the top end.

Thanks.

Kevin.

Is there a smaller clip available for an eye glass case for a shirt pocket?

All I've seen are the belt clips, the smaller belt clips might work but they are a tad wide in the opening near the top end.

Thanks.

Kevin.

Check Ohio Travel Bag or give Springfield Leather (They have advertising banners on this site) a call, sometimes they have items in the store that they did not have at the time of publishing their catalog. (or have an idea of where to get it) Thanks Deb

Edited by Deb59

Ok, I'll give that a whirl on Monday.

Thanks Deb.

Kevin.

Spoon handles make great clips, and come with a variety of designs and shapes. I use them for knife sheath clips if someone prefers those to belt loops.

Cut the handle to length, drill a couple small holes and use small rivits to attach to whatever. Once attached, bend to clip shape using pliers with padded jaws.

Looks great and is a very intresting conversation piece.

I reckon baby spoons would be good for a glasses case.

I kinda like the idea of a small Micky Mouse clip. Reckon I'll start looking for a Micky spoon.

Any problem with the spoons breaking when bending?

If using scrap steel should it be heated up to bend?

I could use scrap steel, cover it in suede then bend it if it isn't prone to breaking without heating first.

Kevin.

I've never had a spoon handle break so far. Of course repeated bending over a short period-minutes-will weaken the metal and eventualy break it. For good spring steel to be used as clips I have used old mechanics feeler guage blades. Heat the piece to a cherry red where you want it bent,bend, let cool. The bent area will be softer than the rest of the piece unless you retemper it. I personally have never bothered to reheat and temper a clip made from these blades and never had one of them break either.

'soft' is relative.

Edited by Historybuff

Thank you Historybuff.

I bent a spoon today and it looks great!

post-19342-045712800 1296770794_thumb.jp

post-19342-096266300 1296770811_thumb.jp

post-19342-024545100 1296770828_thumb.jp

Well this little job is done, already to stitch to the case when I get my leather.

post-19342-061805100 1296790614_thumb.jp

post-19342-058545500 1296790620_thumb.jp

Nice job Tree Reaper. That would make a great clip for a knife sheath, and since I'm a cheap SOB, I take the spoon portion, flatten it out, put leaf 'veins' in using a hammer and chisel, bend and fold slightly, add some color with heat treating or acid and foila! I now have a leaf I can tack weld to any of my BSing-BSing for the uninitated is BlackSmithing- projects.

I put this together today, room for improvement but I'm happy with it for my first eye glass case.

I'll do better with the next one.

Thanks for looking!

Kevin.

post-19342-065313300 1297478616_thumb.jp