Hi Folks,

I got a problem with fiebings prof. oil dye "Royal blue".

I used it before, applied it normaly with a dampened sponge and covered it with Resolene, which I applied with a sponge, too. The problem ist, that it turned into a purple at some points, I think the resolene may take of some colour and this purple stuff just stays. At that point I recolored the piece and bought some aerosol-sprayer to apply the resolene. In a way it worked, but the spraydust wasn´t fine enough, so i got some points where the resolene got too thick (thinned it 1:1, tried to apply just a light coat so it would be covered) and there were some drop-like points where it (the resolene?) turned into some kind of red.

In addition even this "light coat" was too thick, so the leather looks more like plastic.

So I turned back to the non-spraying method. Thinned it too, let the colour sit for about 24 hours, buffed the leather like hell before applying and did the job with a sponge and with a cloth (tried both things out), and ...tadaa.... purple again. I don´t know what to do. Right now I neither have the space nor the money to buy an airbrush-set and I think there should be a method to apply resolene without ruining the whole dye-job.

Can anybody help me with that?

Greetings

Sona

The purple is caused by left over pigment sitting on top. Let it dry thoroughly and then buff vigorously before sealing. this will take the excess dye solids off the top and make the blue come out again.

I saw somewhere (immiketoo I think) was using an eraser to remove the almost metallicy like bluey/purple hue off the project after dying but before applying the finish, that worked great for him.

Mmhh... I buffed the piece like 5-10 minutes and after that it was blue... completely blue, no purple. The purple colour appeared right after I applied the resolene.

But i thought the resolene would soak some dye out of the leather and just the purple remains. But if I understand you right, mike, it actually takes some of the colour away. But not from the dyed leather, but from the remaining pigments on the the leather surface? i mean, it would make sense since the main areas are stuff like the creases where I might not have reached the pigment while buffing....

Thx a lot for the answers! Even if I get upset about this I still might have learned sth ;)

Oh, I just forgot to tell about how it turned out ;)

I tried to remove the applied resolene with some acetone, put on some colour again, let it dry and buffed the piece about one hour I think (it was the backside of a larp-armor) until there was just an unnoticable amount of colour I could lift up with buffing. I stoped at that time because I got the feeling, that state wouldn´t change anymore.... (and I was a bit tired of buffing *laugh*)

So I applied the thinned resolene again with a slightly damped sponge rolled in some piece of fabric with like no pressure at all. After finishing the first layer I just wanted to throw the whole thing away.... actually the hole piece was covered bye a light purple again. i decided to give it a last chance, waited and applied a second layer of resolene and it turned out to become a really rich blue. I think I don´t have to tell you how relieved and happy I was ;)

So thx a lot again for the answers and hints! I kind of love this forum *laugh*

Actually I think I learned how to apply this damn resolene in a way that fits me (and the product) ^^ (*HURRAY*)