johnggrg

New Stitching Horse

Hi everyone. A while back I started a tread and asked if anyone new who had a stitching horse for sale or knew someone that made them. I got a response from a fellow member Dan saying he could build one for me. We talked about what i wanted and ways to inprove the old style horse. He came up with a new closure for the jaws. I should be getting it today but he made a video for me to share and it's on youtube. I thought I would share. Dan does amazing work and really thinks out of the box. I haven't recieved it yet but as you will see in the video it's awesome. The jaw is 6 inches wide front to back. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHUJ1Fnk9Q

So anyone have any thoughts about the new style closure on the horse? John

I will be interested to hear how you like this. There are many times that I cuss the strap running through the jaws in that it inhibits working on a large piece. However, I can see myself pinching my hand in the over-center mechanism where it hinges. Maybe that would only happen once:-)

Seems ta clamp jaw to jaw. How does it do when you got something 1" thick in there?

Still waiting on it should have it by Monday. Not sure about something 1 inch thick. But it has adjustments on the locking piece if it is a thicker piece. Not sure what the limit is. But will be perfect for what I do. As far as pinching my fingers? I can only say I hope I would learn after the first time it happened not to put my fingers in that spot again...I hope. I will be able to answer a little better ounce I get it and use it. But it seems like a better way then the originals. Maybe Dan will pop in and explain a few things better then I can. But I can't wait to use it. It will make things alot easier and more comfortable to do. And that is worth every penny. I will update after getting it. John

John....I think you got a great fella here. It looks like it maybe a winner!

Enjoy....

I want one. How much?

That clamping mechanism is kick ass. Please post pics of how adjustable it is. I was thinking of building something similar to a woodworking leg vise with the screw much further down since you don't need anywhere near the pressure you do with woodworking. This mechanism might be better.