Sign in to follow this  
shtoink

A Quick And Dirty Light Box

Please forgive me for the less than spectacular photos. I took them with my cellphone and it's easiest way for me to upload images.

What this is about is a very cheap and simple light box and it came about because my wife wanted something that was easy to setup and take down while taking up as little space as possible. I thought about it for a bit and had lots of ideas on how to get the job done, but the one that remained the cheapest, easiest to make, and with the most flexibility to suit needs was the one below. I took these images a while ago with the intent to post them much earlier, but life tends to affect us in unpredictable ways.

This is the primary support structure right here. The PVC cap and three-way elbow have two slot cut to allow foam cored poster board to fit into them.

th_3AC0717E-3BD2-4BBE-A96E-50D0C8C20FF0.

This is what the foam cored poster board looks like when in place. These boards are at right angles to each other.
th_26BE5464-E4C3-44DE-A798-201D39B4DBAA.

These three shots show how the poster boards look once set up. From here you can use some binder clips to hold up a fabric or paperboard backdrop and they can be of whatever color you require to make your shot. The boards can be positioned however you want to facilitate the subject and you can have multiple boards on hand to swap out or replace as needed. Lighting can be positioned wherever you like and filtering rested on the top to suit needs.
th_DAAB91D4-793C-4999-B2C5-997E610AA502.

th_BA10D267-74FB-442E-AA18-AF961CC5CAAB.

th_5ADB8F88-27BE-476B-8DD4-FFDCB2469D8D.

I made these with a few dollars worth of PVC connections, some standard foam cored poster board typically used for science fair project back drops, and a bit of time with a Dremel tool. It was easy to make and has a great deal a flexibility in its configuration with the added benefit of being cheap and easy to build. I hope that others can find some use from this.