wildrose

Movie addictions

Okay, having recently developed a sincere addiction to Iron Man (WOW! what a movie!!!) I'm curious if there are others out there as wacky as me who will gladly shell out today's movie prices to see a movie multiple times. I will clarify what I mean by nuts: I saw The Mask of Zorro with Antonio Banderas at least 10 times in the theaters (I'm a Zorro freak, really, and that was the best ever IMHO), and Lord knows how many times I've watched it at home. My hubby made the mistake of asking me what I wanted for Mother's Day...not missing a beat, I said "to see Iron Man again!" (this will make the third time, but heck it just came out and I have a 3 yr old...so that severely limits my movie going ability...)

I confess weaknesses for the Lord of the Rings movies as well - gotta see 'em whenever I happen upon them while channel flipping.

Even if it's not in the theaters, what is a movie you will watch any time it's on? My hubby is just as bad as me, only for him it's: Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption and any movie to do with war.

Well, I'm with your husband on this one... I like all those movies you mentioned that he likes. I don't think I consider myself "Nutz" about anything like that. We buy the movies and sure we watch them time and again.

I will agree with you again about Lord of the Rings, it's a master piece of work. One I also really like is The Matrix, all three. I see something new it everytime I watch it. The wifey doesn't agree with my taste for movies, for the most part. We do watch many shows together, just not those mentioned above.

Ones we watch together include, "Anne of Green Gables", :) Sea Biscuit, and others that give you warm fuzzy feelings about LOLOL, "Thats all I have to say about that", :) we do like Forest Gump too...

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Lord of the Rings all 3 in extended versions in a row!

all 3 of the Matrix

All 3 seasons of the Dead Wood Series in a row

all the X-men

97 John Wayne movies (marthon weekend)

All the Star Wars including the ewok movie

Lord of the Rings all 3 in extended versions in a row!

all 3 of the Matrix

All 3 seasons of the Dead Wood Series in a row

all the X-men

97 John Wayne movies (marthon weekend)

All the Star Wars including the ewok movie

Akira Kurosawa's Ran three times in a row!!

The most watched movies in our house are Top Gun, Con Air, Armegedon, The Rock (the one with Sean Connery) and Tombstone. It's kind of a joke in our house, when flipping through the channels and one of these comes up, someone always says, hey we haven't seen that in a couple weeks, so we see it again.

My all time favorites, Lonesome Dove, The Man from Snowy River (1 and 2) Quigley Down Under. And to watch with the wife, Benny and Joon, Erin Brockovich, Pretty Woman.

Man From Snowy River - because I like Banjo Paterson's poetry. You all know it is based on poem by Banjo Paterson written about a hundred years ago, right? I like Chisum, because because I like Ben Johnson too, I had a chance meeting with him 25 years ago in Pawhuska - a true gentleman. Memphis Belle for no particular reason. Lonesome Dove the movie was WAY better than the book it was based on. The Cowboys - yeah John Wayne dies, but it is yet another reason not to like Bruce Dern. Wargames - cool movie. Tom Horn - Steve McQueen's best, and I am a Tom Horn afficianado, he was guilty of poor judgement and drinking, probably not murder. Slapshot - My brother in law thinks it may be the most accurate sports movie ever made, I like it because it is funny (the uncut version). Breaking Away - I had a roomie from Bloomington and identifiable as an extra in several scenes, and I haven't had Noble Roman's pizza for 23 years, crave it every time I watch it. The Good Old Boys - I like Elmer Kelton's writing, and the actors were all who I'd of picked. The River of No Return because Marilyn Monroe really looks good in those jeans. Enough said.

Man From Snowy River - because I like Banjo Paterson's poetry. You all know it is based on poem by Banjo Paterson written about a hundred years ago, right? I like Chisum, because because I like Ben Johnson too, I had a chance meeting with him 25 years ago in Pawhuska - a true gentleman. Memphis Belle for no particular reason. Lonesome Dove the movie was WAY better than the book it was based on. The Cowboys - yeah John Wayne dies, but it is yet another reason not to like Bruce Dern. Wargames - cool movie. Tom Horn - Steve McQueen's best, and I am a Tom Horn afficianado, he was guilty of poor judgement and drinking, probably not murder. Slapshot - My brother in law thinks it may be the most accurate sports movie ever made, I like it because it is funny (the uncut version). Breaking Away - I had a roomie from Bloomington and identifiable as an extra in several scenes, and I haven't had Noble Roman's pizza for 23 years, crave it every time I watch it. The Good Old Boys - I like Elmer Kelton's writing, and the actors were all who I'd of picked. The River of No Return because Marilyn Monroe really looks good in those jeans. Enough said.

Another good Australian poet was Henry Lawson, Bruce. I do like Banjo though,especially some of the more humorous poems! I like most of John Wayne's movies and some of the older westerns like "The Wild Bunch" with William Holden and Robert Ryan and Ben Johnson is good in any movie. I agree with you re. Bruce Dern, he plays a real good creep! Quigley Down Under was on tv about 3 days ago and I had to watch it of course.

Tony.

Star Wars, 2001, and 2010 rock!!!!!!!! I saw 2001 at Radio City Music Hall right after they installed a 180 degree movie screen! It was incredible and their sound system was fantastic. As a serviceman at the time, I got discount tickets thru the NY USO (that's were I met my wife of 39 years). The wife had to pay full rate didn't make her too happy, but she loved the music. I have a HD TV and home theater 7.1 surrond sound system at home and have all the editions of Star Wars, 2001, and 2010. I'm really a Sci-fi nut at heart. I also like Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, I grew up watching them on B&W TV in the 50s. Also like Mr. Moto with Peter Lorre and Charlie Chan with Sidney Toler.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

my favorite movie of all time is The worlds fastest Indian with anthony hopkins. I think he is just a wonderful actor. I love all things scifi and at the moment cant get enough of Stargate, i watch it every night at 9.30pm. Lots of movies will always be worth watching again, Apollo 13, Silence of the lambs, to name a couple. Some of my favorite aussie movies are Crackajack and the dish.

All 3 Blade movies, Jeremiah Johnson , The Mountain Men, What about Bob

MOON...I AM WITH YOU ON JEREMIAH JOHNSON & THE MOUNTAIN MAN

Edited by Luke Hatley

My most recent addiction to a movie is Deadman with Johnny Depp and just about everyone else. It is a brilliant artistic master piece.

Babetts feast is favorite too mostly because I like food. I also have a love of the old dumb Kung Fu movies. I also like the Tolkien movies but had trouble reading him I found his work most a boring to read where as I loved reading Lewis and enjoy the Narnia movie too so in my mind Lewis won the contest.

I have the soundtrack to Jeremiah Johnson and enjoy working to it. It is a great movie.

David Genadek

A movie we both enjoy together, having a good laugh is "Dumb & Dumber", Jim Carey is great.

AND, all John Wayne.... :jerry:

The Man from Snowy River...I shoulda known folks here would like those movies! I have pts.1 and 2 and those are definitely great pics. Beautiful scenery, great horsemanship, just really enjoyable.

I forgot to mention The Big Easy with Dennis Quaid (his smile just melts me) and The Shadow with Alec Baldwin (probably one of his best movies). I like alot of old movies too with Tyrone Power and Errol Flynn.

I remember having a free movie pass to see The Matrix and saying, "well, if it sucks it won't matter 'cuz I'm seeing it free...." I would've paid to see that again. Fascinating and well acted. Didn't care for the sequels as much though. When you have an original film like that, it's tough to pull off good sequels, I think. Pirates of the Caribbean is another that was good for only one time (no sequels needed) in my opinion.

my favorite movie of all time is The worlds fastest Indian with anthony hopkins. I think he is just a wonderful actor.

I have to agree with leatheroo on that one. For me it's all about a more tolerant time when people admired (and secretly envied) those colorful characters who ignored the odds to follow a dream. Could you imagine the regulation one would have to go through today to be a nobody on the other side of the world and bring a bike that didn't pass 1000 inspections and requirements to Bonneville? Is it still possible to have a dream, ambition and just a few bucks to reach an impossible goal?

Besides, I like just about any movie set in Australia.

Not being too much of a movie theater guy; just because they are so darned expensive, I must admit to a few addictions on the "small screen"

Stargate fan here....both of them and.....

On the weekend, nothing beats a cup of joe, lacing a seat and a couple hours of HorsePower TV.

That's pretty much it, except for when my Cincinnati Reds are on.

David Theobald

"Can you skin a bear?" I love that part of the movie when he get the bear into the cabin and tell him to skin that! LOL

One of my favorites is 'Open Range' and the old Clint Eastwood westerns. I also enjoy having the old B westerns playing in the background while I work. Roy Rogers, John Wayne, etc.

ArtS

When I was a kid I commited some minor infraction at school and was made to learn and recite the entire poem Man from snowy river by heart. I can recite the first 1/4 now. Andrew Barton (Banjo) Patterson also wrote Waltzing Matilda. Only Australians get so wound up about a song about a sheep thief who commits suicide while making a cup of tea.

Back to favourite movies

Memphis Belle because I knew an old gentleman who was a B-17 navigator who was shot down on his 24th mission and spent 10 months on the run in occupied Europe.

Add to the genre The Dam Busters. which is very well filmed for 1950,s technology and is about the bouncing bomb raid

Most of director Simon Wincers horse related movies

Lonesome Dove

Monte Walsh

Phar Lap

the Lighthorseman

I Just about wore out my copy of Open Range. Robert Duvall is just so dry.

Soon to be release in the US

Kenny. About a toilet plumber

Barra

"Can you skin a bear?" I love that part of the movie when he get the bear into the cabin and tell him to skin that! LOL

One of my favorites is 'Open Range' and the old Clint Eastwood westerns. I also enjoy having the old B westerns playing in the background while I work. Roy Rogers, John Wayne, etc.

ArtS

I love the bear part too. If your into B westerns find Sunsets Carsons Six Gun Heroes and the covers were carved by Bob Brown. Sunset was Bobs best friend. I got to spend a day with Sunset listening to stories of the B western days, it is a wonderful memory!

David Genadek

Now that would have been a neat experience! I bet you heard some good stories.

ArtS

I almost have to say ditto to most of what everyone has listed. I will have to check out some of the movies mentioned that I haven't seen.

Some I have to watch every time they are on the tube: Forrest Gump, Shawshank, LOTR, Star Wars (the first 3). Jeremiah Johnson is an absolute favorite as is Man from Snowy River. Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite Clint. Any of the Indiana Jones'. I can remember standing in a huge line at the movie theater to see Porky's. I don't know what was funnier - the movie, or a packed theater filled with people completely cracking up. Gotta throw in Sound of Music and My Fair Lady.

And - I just can't help it- EVERY time JAWS is on the tv - I have to watch.

Crystal

The Outlaw Josey Wales best spaghetti western of clints, the Unforgiven, Tombstone ("I'm your Huckleberry") Val Kilmer's best role. One all time fav has gotta be Sling Blade. for some reason I always watch Apollo 13 when it's on tv. and I'm just a grown up kid because I have enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and movies. No Country For Old Men was great also.

For me, it's Lord of the Rings. I read the novel(s) back in the early 80's and suffered through the previous attempts to produce it on the silver screen. When Peter Jackson made his version of it, I thought someone had finally done it right.

Before that, it was Star Wars. I haven't played it now for 3 or 4 years, but I used to have an annual SW Marathon!

Kate

BABE Who can resist such a cute pig? Crocodile Hunter and Second Hand Lions are right up there on my list, too.