JerseyFirefighter

Am I Wrong In Asking To Return This Back Of Drum Dyed?

Morning! I was wondering what your thoughts on the quality of this leather I bought. Its a 10-12 oz drum dyed leather that I found to be nowhere near my experience with drum dyed sides. The last back of drum dyed I bought (albeit 9-10 oz was dyed through, waxy finish on the front and solid flesh side. (I have pics if wanted fr comparison) This one I received seems very rubbery, is not dyed anywhere near through, and the flesh side seems cracked when flat, but even worse so when bent towards the finish side. Ive only bought 3 backs of drum dyed before so while im a little inexperienced in telling the difference, this one seems way off the mark for a drum dyed hide. Pics are in the album below thanks for your input!

https://imgur.com/a/8s1S5

Edited to add the flesh side flat vs slightly bent

T7ElIU0.jpgqPB0TZi.jpg

And another side shot

4PFAyTI.jpg

Edited by JerseyFirefighter

I would return it. Where did you get this from? I don't use drum-dyed much, however; usually the material is dyed through and through. I would also expect the surface to be much better than that. The drum dyed leather I have used came from Wicket and Craig.

Bob

The front side is kinda nice and the cut edge looks nice and dense. Assuming that is a pic of the back on your imgr, it may be fixable with a little slicking, and looks the worst in the belly areas anyways. The dye appears even, the leather probably is usable. I would talk to the seller and see what they can do. You may both be better off with you keeping it and getting a serious discount on a second one to eliminate the back shipping and hassle.

Look at it this way, If you send it back, you/the seller end up paying shipping 3 times for 1 hide. If you keep it, it is 2 shipping charges for 2 hides. This keeps more money in your and the sellers pockets in the long run. Why make the shipping company rich if you can avoid it.

Edited by TinkerTailor

I seldom get hides struck all the way through in heavier leathers without asking for it. On ten sides, you can order struck all the way through as 10 sides is about how many sides they put in a drum. Striking through is seldom necessary as you generally dye/paint the edges. If you buy heavier leather and then split it down to thinner stuff, striking through may be somewhat more important. You should send the leather back, as you got a really crappy piece if the whole thing looks like that. Who did you buy it from?

Art

It was Springfield Leather, which ive had nothing but great experiences with. The leather however seemed to be shipped from the tannery, a quick inspection, then tied in ribbon in the original packaging from the tannery (shipping labels and all) i could understand if they could not get full penetration in such a heavy leather, I guess I just assumed to see more than just a surface coating and cracking wax on the flesh side. Again this is just from my own experiences with drum dyed as most of my similarly heavy oz leathers have been dyed through and through. Ive gove them a call monday and show them the pics to see what they think.

Never had a problem working on a problem with SLC the few times I have had to.

Art

The cut edge of the leather looks just exactly like HO drum dyed black harness to me. Sides will vary with the degree to which the dye penetrates. The reason the flesh side looks like that is it is full thickness. . . no splitting. Maybe not fleshed as well as it could have been, but like Tinker said above, the cut edge looks like good, dense, firm leather. The denser the fibers, the harder time the dye will have getting through. Raggy, loose fibered stuff absorbs the dye pretty readily. Depends on what you use it for, but judging from the pics, it'd sure work for me. But that has to be your call

Big Sioux Saddlery seems to have a pretty good answer in my opinion. Depending on what the kind of leather it is most heavy Veg is not struck through. Harness and bridle typically are not unless specified or special order...skirting normally is. I don't know why but from what I have dealt with that is the norm.

As far as the loose flesh on the back side, normal if down in the belly, flank, and shoulder pockets. If up in the back and bend then you shouldn't be seeing that. That's just a poor job at the tannery.

Did you keep it?

Big Sioux Saddlery seems to have a pretty good answer in my opinion. Depending on what the kind of leather it is most heavy Veg is not struck through. Harness and bridle typically are not unless specified or special order...skirting normally is. I don't know why but from what I have dealt with that is the norm.

As far as the loose flesh on the back side, normal if down in the belly, flank, and shoulder pockets. If up in the back and bend then you shouldn't be seeing that. That's just a poor job at the tannery.

Did you keep it?

I did keep it. I spoke with Liz at Springfield and had a nice discussion about it. Not being struck through isnt a deal breaker but I was a little bit disappointed at the overall blemishes. The flesh issues are spotty and in random spots along the back. They were very kind to me, and had offered to ship a replacement. I had told them I appreciated the offer, however I would rather keep the one I have than risk getting something similar as well as costing them additional money in freight. The offer in itself spoke volumes of SLC's customer service. Losing a bit of workable leather is a good trade off to downtime of not having leather to work on in general. I will continue to buy the H.O. B grades from them, however I also intend on branching out and trying some of W&C and RJF in the future.

It was Springfield Leather, which ive had nothing but great experiences with. The leather however seemed to be shipped from the tannery, a quick inspection, then tied in ribbon in the original packaging from the tannery (shipping labels and all) i could understand if they could not get full penetration in such a heavy leather, I guess I just assumed to see more than just a surface coating and cracking wax on the flesh side. Again this is just from my own experiences with drum dyed as most of my similarly heavy oz leathers have been dyed through and through. Ive gove them a call monday and show them the pics to see what they think.

this become a sales pattern from SLC.

Few times also got what I didn't expect with bad surface. Too much negative feedbacks come from different buyers about SLC.

In general, SLC is good. But the way they shoot out the goods to the customers, is not the way self-respected company should work.

Must be hard to sell leather. The stores get all kinds of different stuff, I am sure. Although we, as artisians, can choose to keep and use different quality hides, the stores buy a bunch at a time. They have to do their best to work with what they have spending less money to make it right. Sad to say, someone has to occasionally get crap they get because poop rolls downhill and everyones paying for it. I think if springfield was a tannery it would be easier to say they are not consistant but since they are not a tannery its just important that they know you will not take it if its not the best and therefor they will never waist the money sending it.

Must be hard to sell leather. The stores get all kinds of different stuff, I am sure. Although we, as artisians, can choose to keep and use different quality hides, the stores buy a bunch at a time. They have to do their best to work with what they have spending less money to make it right. Sad to say, someone has to occasionally get crap they get because poop rolls downhill and everyones paying for it. I think if springfield was a tannery it would be easier to say they are not consistant but since they are not a tannery its just important that they know you will not take it if its not the best and therefor they will never waist the money sending it.

BUT. no one force a company to buy very good or very bad leather. This is a matter of a seller - they get what they want - that is their right.

Of course, it's good from seller side to inform that there are defects etc. Mostly.But when an artisan or other buyer pays for the product (the money which he earns not so easy way) and a seller from i'ts side make such mistakes, i beg a pardon - this seller is a liar and don't give much attention to the customers.

Most artisans and other customers live and work in US, or close. In my case, I live far from US, even not in Europe. I pay a lot money for fright forwarding services and other delivery fees. So, when i receive a s**t, what i'm I suppose to do ?

I would be happy to buy directly from manufacturer, but all we know, each of them has own selling policies and other terms.

Edited by nrk

Well, what you get should not be lied about. I never deal with liars however, I am not sure that if a company like SLC can tell a place, "hey only send me the best." Everyone has to get rid of the worse and this is why there is normally price diff. But they dont always have choice pic. I believe they buy in big lots. Now if they lie like I herd many do, screw em. Crooked business deserves a boot.