I have been asked to make a knife sheath for a friend. It is a fixed blade and the blade is about 4 inches and the handle is also about 4 inches. I have been looking at all the knife sheath topics but still have a few questions. Does it need a gussett. I don't want the knife to cut any of the stitching. I am worried about using a snap closure because I don't want it to scratch the knife. Is this realistic? I have seen some pictures of sheaths without snaps but how can i make sure the knife will stay in the sheath. Thanks for any help.

I would say any fixed blade knife sheath should have a welt, but without seeing what the knife looks like, I couldn't address the question regarding the snap or how to keep the knife from falling out....any chance of a picture of the knife?

Here it is. I knew I should have posted it.

100_1051.jpg

post-7618-1236206029_thumb.jpg

Definately include a welt to prevent the blade from cutting the stitching. If you make the pocket of the sheath deep enough that it sits down past the choil (finger guard), you should not have any issues with retention. I will see if I can post a pic of what I am trying to explain.

-Tac

Definately include a welt to prevent the blade from cutting the stitching. If you make the pocket of the sheath deep enough that it sits down past the choil (finger guard), you should not have any issues with retention. I will see if I can post a pic of what I am trying to explain.

-Tac

This is sort of the style I am talking about. No snaps or loops to scratch the blade. This is a Chuck Burrows sheath.... he is an amazing craftsman and artisan.

Neo_Frontier_Belt_Sheath_003.jpg

post-7822-1236213468_thumb.jpg

I agree with the others ,I would not make a fixed blade sheath without a welt. Its just not safe for the user or the sheath. Now as to the snap, for me its easy since the majority of my sheaths are inlays and have two layers, so the snap is between the layers. But for single layer sheaths, you can cover the snap with a thin piece of suede, or take a razor knife and cut a thin flap on the inside leaving the side towards the top secured, lift up flap and mount your snap the glue flap back down over it. Dave

you can also do a pouch style like this and mold the sheath to the knife

BusseRS.jpg

This style uses a snap retention.

irondam2.jpg

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on the design end of it as far as how to lay it out. I have seen 2 two different styles that I was wondering about. Do you think it would be better to have it as one piece or two. Let me explain. Should one piece of leather be used and folded over and sewed on one side or is it better to cut out the front and back and sew it on both sides. I hope this is clear, it's hard for me to put it in words. Again, thanks for the help.