CharliGirl

New To Leatherworking

I have recently become interested in creating leather horse tack. Back in jr high, I did some tooling on a bookmark, but that is the extent of my leather working. I would love to be able to create something that I could use while being creative, but I'm not sure where or how to start. What are some recommended beginner projects? I would love to make my own saddle someday, but I can't imagine that would make a good first project.

Where do you purchase the supplies? I have found a few websites that carry supplies such as Tandy Leather Factory. Are there other good suppliers out there?

I have recently become interested in creating leather horse tack. Back in jr high, I did some tooling on a bookmark, but that is the extent of my leather working. I would love to be able to create something that I could use while being creative, but I'm not sure where or how to start. What are some recommended beginner projects? I would love to make my own saddle someday, but I can't imagine that would make a good first project.

Where do you purchase the supplies? I have found a few websites that carry supplies such as Tandy Leather Factory. Are there other good suppliers out there?

Hi CharliGirl, and thank you for joining. You will find good people and good information here. Tandy is a good place to start, they carry most beginning projects as well as supplies. Others on this forum will also have some good ideas as well. Thanks, Steve

Hi Charli,

There is good advice in reading the Suppliers and How do I do that forums. There is also a good bridle making tutorial out there. Don't buy too many tools all at once, just what you need. We can fill you in on tools once you determine what you want to try to make. Being you are the horsey type, you might already have a pattern for a bridle for your horse.

Tools:

Box cutter (Utility) knife

Ruler/Straight edge

Leather to make a strop for knife

Rouge or compound for the strop

Various hole or belt punches, you will know what you need from your pattern (an existing bridle)

Master Glue (contact cement)

Master Thinner

A glue bottle would be nice, but if you get a small can of Master, it will come with a brush top, and the can is your bottle.

Some edge paint

A slicker, or some spit and a canvas or denim rag for slicking edges

Some edge paint

Some Fiebing's Pro Oil Dye is you want it a different color

Leather

A stitch marking wheel

A Stitching Awl

Stitching Thread

Harness Needles

You can opt to buy a stitcher from Steve in lieu of the last four items but there is a big difference in cost.

Call Kevin at Springfield Leather and give him this list, he can cut you enough leather to complete your project, you don't have to buy a whole side.

Ask Kevin for advice, there is always something I forgot.

Tandy has an Aluminum Strap cutter on sale for about $22, that is a good deal, but the wooden one works fine too and Kevin at Springfield might have that too.

Art

Hi CharliGirl, and thank you for joining. You will find good people and good information here. Tandy is a good place to start, they carry most beginning projects as well as supplies. Others on this forum will also have some good ideas as well. Thanks, Steve