Mikexd40

Finishing Knots For Stitching

Need some advise on stitching knots. I have some people that would like to purchase some of my leather goods and I want to produce quality products and I am wondering if I am tying good enough knots in my stitching. Which ones do you all use? Any advise to this new leather worker is appreciated. Thanks.

Are you hand sewing? If you are, you don't need to tie in any knots. Just backstitch a few times and cut the thread flush with the leather. Lightly tap your mallet on your stitches to close them up, and the threads won't go anywhere.

Mikexd40, you didn't mention just how you are stitching. Lightningale's suggestion is great if you are hand-stitching using the classic two-needle saddler stitch. If you are using one of those "Awl-for-all" or similar tools with the integral spool of thread, all bets are off. Any knot will hang out in the breeze and be prone to loosen up over time. Just don't use an overhand knot. At least use a square knot. Better yet, get some harness needles, a good diamond cross-section awl, a stitch marking wheel or pricking chisel, Al Stohlman's book on hand stitching leather and watch Nigel Armitage's videos a dozen times. Your stitching will look much better and be far stronger, and last much longer than the lockstitch that results from using an Awl-for-all. Sorry, there is no shortcut when it comes to hand stitching.

Forgive me, I am hand stitching and have been using a six prong punch. Saddle stitch has been doing very well for me and I'll do the back stitching. That sounds like a winner. Thank you.