Artificial Intelligence

Leather Grain Surface - Flat/smooth Vs Textured Leather

I've just bought some 2.2mm shoulder leather and the quality looks pretty good, with no real blemishes etc. One thing that surprised me though is how smooth the grain surface is. It's from a well known website and from what I can see I think it's decent leather and it hasn't been split like I believe they do to produce cheaper leathers, so I'm surprised there's no wrinkled/mottled grain surface like one would expect with many leathers. Is it just the characteristic of cow hide, with other leathers like goatskin having a more pronounced surface or is that not a factor? Could it be that other parts of the cow hide like the butt have a more visible grain or is there some other explanation?

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Without seeing the leather in question it is difficult to answer specifically. In general, whether leather has a smooth or pebbled grain depends on the type of animal it comes from, what part of the animal, plus tanning and processing, plus finishing steps, and so on. For example, some leathers are run under a glazing jack, which is a motorized rolling pin that applies tons of pressure (as seen on Youtube) and smoothes the leather, not to mention embossing, etc.