Billy P

How to

Hey folks, my question is what do you use and how do you attach the neck end of the strap? I've seen some that looked like they had a shoe/boot string to tie around the neck. I just want to know how and what to use to make a custom strap. I know that on the body end to punch the holes and make a slit for the button. Any help will most gratefully appreciated, Billy P

in general bill...same slot holes on both ends(slits going towards the center of strap) and ya some thicker leather lace will do it for the neck, i used latigo boot type lace...cuz say example fender guitars if ya look at the pics have a the button to attach the top of the strap on the main body, so you would need the slot hole...but if its just for one specific accoustic or something then it could be a smaller hole on that end so the lace can go through...

darryl

Edited by sodapop

If the customer does not want/need adjustments, a simple measurement from peg to peg will do for the peg slots on the strap.

If the customer wears his strap at various lengths, either the music, sitdown, standup, or switching guitars, you'll need to figure out an adjustment method, say a buckle, or a slotted adjustment strap, or other...your choice (and the bane of all strap makers). Many users want it all, without hardware to scratch their instruments.

Take a look thru the guitar strap section, for some different ways. I wish we could get the old pictures pre-crash, there were some good ones, if I remember right.

This is how I made and fixed my own strap - It is far from perfect but it works okay for me. Picture quality is a bit shakey here and there... sorry!

The bottom end adjustment uses a single snap which I find perfectly adequate although I would rather have dispensed with any metalwork for the sake of the guitar. It is a working solution and I have never been bothered enough to change it.

I didn't realise how much dust there was on the guitar until I took these pictures - you just can't get the staff these days!

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

post-6314-1220668059_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1220668188_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1220668197_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1220668208_thumb.jpg

Ray that is a fine looking Strap...... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

ps................two of your shelves holding all thoes books are bending.... :rofl:

Depending on the customers request I will do several things.

1) Use a buckle for those that like adjusting

2) Use a slotted strap for those that want to adjust but not damage their instrument

3) If they use Dunlop Strap locks punch a #14/3/8" (osbourne punch) hole for the strap locks

4) If they use Schaller Strap locks punch a #15/13/32" (osbourne punch) hole for the strap locks

5) If it's just a strap for stock, I wait to punch the holes until whomever purchases it can tell me what they prefer.

As for the hardware question, I've had decent success using a conway style buckle. I usually stitch it to the strap so that all the metal bits face out and the inside of the strap has no exposed metal pieces.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/uploads/mon...24519_thumb.jpg

But back to Billys original question - any bit of reasonably strong thong or lace would do the job to attach the strap to the headstock of the guitar. Heck I've even seem people use shoe laces or bits of ribbon....

On one custom order I had, I made a smaller bit of strap to take the place of the thong. (sorry, no pics) - It was just a 1" wide strap that fit under the strings around the headstock just like a bit of thong would. But the ends of the smaller strap had holes and a chicago screw that attached to the end of the larger strap. This way the musician could bolt down the chicago screw and know for certain the strap wasn't going anywhere.

And it kinda looked cool that way...icon1.gif

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and THANK YOU for all the help. I am planning on making a strap or two just to have to show people some of my work. It looks as if I am going to have to start doing a lot more work and get it out there for the local people to see. Seems it's either that, or I may have to just quit for awhile and I'm not willing to do that. I usually don't try to sell much because, around here peoply will RATT YOU OUT and as I'm on disability I can't afford to get in trouble about my income. However I am gonna try and start doing some things for a donation to the cause if I can. It will be on a limited basis, but any thing that I get back to help buy leather and tools and such will be a help. Again thanks for the replies and help any and all are really apppreciated, and not just on straps but on other things as well. Kindest Regards Billy P