builderofstuff

Round Lace

Anyone know how they make round lace? I experimented with this a while back but I didn't continue with my experiments. I was just wondering if anyone in the community might know how they make it. My attempts were focused on cutting it round but it just occurred to me that maybe sort of wet forming it would work.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

Anyone know how they make round lace? I experimented with this a while back but I didn't continue with my experiments. I was just wondering if anyone in the community might know how they make it. My attempts were focused on cutting it round but it just occurred to me that maybe sort of wet forming it would work.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

Hi Chris,

You could use the same technique as making round reins/straps. I've got a tool called a rein-rounder which is like a reducing die that you pull the strap through successively smaller holes until it has become round. You could make something similar for lace. If you search for 'rein-rounder' or 'rein +rounder' on this site you should get some more details. I think Al Stohlman's book 'Hand Stitching Leather' has details of how to use.

Basically it is 2 pieces of wood or metal, hinged at one end and securely fastended at the other. Where the pieces join, a series of holes is drilled and slightly countersunk, so that half of each hole appears on each piece of wood (Thismight be difficult to visualise; if so I'll take a picture of the tool and post it back to you!). The inside of each hole is very smooth. You wet you leather, open the tool, place the strap/lace in the smallest hole it will comfortable fit and close the tool down again (It helps if its secured to the bench). You then pull the strap through the gole and you will see tthe edges have become rounded. Open the tool up again, put the trap in the next smallest hole and repeat until round.

I expect if you're just using one size of thong/lace, you could just drill a hole of the appropriate size in a piece of wood, taper one end of the lace to feed it through the hole and then just pull it through. You might need to experiment though!

Good luck!

Jerry