HanginH

New Wade Saddle

Hope that everyone managed to have a good Christmas and if you were like me you at least "tried" not to over indulge in the turkey.

This is the latest saddle that I have made and any critiqes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is a 14.5 inch wade built on a Rod Nikkel tree, is a complete rough out with a San Carlos border and i put a strainer seat in this one to try and change things a bit from the last ones that I have made which have all been leather ground seats. I didn't get a chance to weigh it to see how heavy it was but it didn't feel to bad and more importantly the girl I made it for seemed to like it so if she is happy then so am I.

Thanks

Justin

post-9851-082680100 1294452872_thumb.jpg

post-9851-073693500 1294453075_thumb.jpg

post-9851-029049700 1294453087_thumb.jpg

Howdy Justin,.............I really like this saddle. I don't know how many you've built, but congrats, well done. This is strictly a matter of personal preference, but I tend to like a little bit more skirt in front of the bars. That's just me, and the way my eye sees lines. At any rate, a job well done, and I sure like Rod's trees myself......just wish that you north Americans would lower the exchange rate. All the best, JW.

Saddle looks good there. I am with JW and like a little more skirt in front. The border looks good on the rough out too.

Thanks JW and you are probably right that I should have a bit more skirt out the front and on the next one I will be keeping a bit more out there. Since this saddle was for a lady I was trying to keep the skirts as small as possible to keep it lighter but by the same token another inch out the front wouldn't have made any difference to the weight in the end. This was saddle number 4 for me and like the other 3 before it there is always things to change and try and improve on for the next one. On a side note JW I was on your website having a look at your gear that you have made which looks great but the other thing that sure looked good to me was that nice Grey stud that is on the front page! I didn't see all his bloodlines but he sure looks like a Playgun to me.

Thanks Bruce, the Rose knife I bought from you sure came in handy building this one. Just need to convince the Boss/wife that I need more tools and then I will be giving you a call again.

Thanks

Justin

Justin,

Nice job on the saddle. For only your 4th one it is really nice. keep up the good work.

Bob

Hi Justin,

The saddle looks good. You obviosly have the talent required to becoming a saddlemaker. For saddle # 4 it is exceptional. I would not want to see my 4th saddle:)

A couple of things to watch in your next one would be : the front edge of your fork cover , cut and fold it so that it comes ahead of the gullet evenly all the way around. :either the rear jockeys aren't pulled down enough at the back or the skirts arn't blocked up enough. ( see the middle pic ) I would also put a little more set in the twist of the stirrup leathers

My preference on a smaller ladies saddles is 2 1/2" stirrup leathers ans almost always do 1/2 leathers.. That is a lot of leather all wrapped up around the stirrups.

Keep up the good work

Andy

Thanks for the pointers Andy. I seem to always have a bit of trouble with getting the rear jockeys to fit down really tight and i am not sure if it doesn't have something to do with the pattern or if like you say I am not pulling them down tight enough or blocking the skirts enough through the back. I have always blocked the skirts after the rigging is on and I was wondering would it be ok to block them prior to installing the rigging to allow a bit more room to get them up around the edges of the bars better. Maybe I just need to be a bit more diligent when I am blocking the skirts to make sure I get up and around the edges.

The fork cover didn't end up quite as good as I would have liked it to and partially blame it to not paying enough attention when I was pulling it down tight with my awls and making sure that it stayed square. I will have to add it to the list of things to watch for when I start the next one.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone it has been a big help from one saddle to the next for me to improve my work.

Justin

Getting those jocks to pull down tight is demonstrated in the Stohlman encyclopedia of saddlemaking no. 2.

Very nice job, Justin. Good to see our trees being so well covered up!

Thinking about a time line to quit your day job yet?

As soon as the wife finishes residency and gets into surgery so she can support my hobbies! Now I just need to convince her!

Justin,

You better be careful. She may decide she doesn't want to support your saddle making and instead wants your saddle making to support her. You may want to talk to Rod about that...

Denise

Hi Justin...............Thank You, and yes sir, that is a Playgun , and a good one, if I do say so. I won quite a bit on a 1/2 sister, and he is undefeated in reined cowhorse competition. Only problem with him in our breeding program is that I can't keep his offspring around very long................not a bad problem to have. Keep up your good work, JW.