miso

Where Can I Get Leather From Happy Animals

Hello

so basically my question is where could i get leather that comes from happy animals ( that means that the animals can go out on a field are not tortured and stuff like that) i know its a funny question but it is very important for me that i know where the things that i wear come from. i heard that in australia its not worth to build barns(sheds) and the animals can be outside idk if thats true or not but i would be thankful if someone could give me a contact where i could be able to get leather from happy animals from.

sorry for my english and thx for your help :)

I would recommend obtaining hides from the Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyū cattle, raised according to strict tradition. You would then have to find a tanner who would process these for you. Packing plants generally take cattle in one end and hides and meat come out the other. They have no idea how the animal was treated during it's lifetime. If you look for big thick hides, you may get a dairy bull, who generally had a really good time during his hormone raged life, either naturally or artificially.

Art

Hello

so basically my question is where could i get leather that comes from happy animals ( that means that the animals can go out on a field are not tortured and stuff like that) i know its a funny question but it is very important for me that i know where the things that i wear come from. i heard that in australia its not worth to build barns(sheds) and the animals can be outside idk if thats true or not but i would be thankful if someone could give me a contact where i could be able to get leather from happy animals from.

i was kind of hoppenig that someone knows a website where i can order it and not go trough the whole proces

thx

I would recommend obtaining hides from the Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyū cattle, raised according to strict tradition. You would then have to find a tanner who would process these for you. Packing plants generally take cattle in one end and hides and meat come out the other. They have no idea how the animal was treated during it's lifetime. If you look for big thick hides, you may get a dairy bull, who generally had a really good time during his hormone raged life, either naturally or artificially.

Art

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

An example of a happy hide!

/ Knut

A cowboys grave.bmp

Edited by oldtimer

Knut, something tells me that's not politically correct! It did make me laugh, though.

Hello

I can only write for Western Australia but yes a lot of the cattle here are kept outside, my father in law runs a wholesale butcher and all his cattle are kept in fenced fields they still end up as meat though. Not sure what happens to the dairy ones past their prime as he has never dealt with those type of cows. There aren't any tanneries here though all salted hides are sent to the eastern states and overseas for leather processing you could try http://www.gretannery.com.au/ I know they process hides in a more traditional way but I don't know where they actually get them from, postage is likely to be expensive though from Australia.

Clair

It is mighty hard to tell by looking at a stack of hides if they came off a happy animal or not!!! I've been around cattle my whole life and if they have grass, water, and shelter( even a thicket of trees works) then they seem like happy campers!

i was kind of hoppenig that someone knows a website where i can order it and not go trough the whole proces

thx

So you kinda just want to be TOLD they were happy before someone smacked them between the eyes, stunned them and cut their throat while they were still alive? I can do that....Springfield has some killer deals on happy cows, actually we have a whole list of suppliers that can provide you with happy hides rofl.gif

Oh and sort the happy ones just for you so you don't have to do anything special rofl.gifrofl.gif

Art get me outta here before i get in trouble, beam me up. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Miso was probably sincere and not pulling our legs. Some folks just don't know the plain hard facts or animal husbandry. I guess some can wish that cattle are treated fairly, but they are big animals that can treat someone quite unfairly if they so wish. Today, some grow up in a world where they don't know where things come from or don't know how they get there, sometimes it is a shock when they find out.

Art

So you kinda just want to be TOLD they were happy before someone smacked them between the eyes, stunned them and cut their throat while they were still alive? I can do that....Springfield has some killer deals on happy cows, actually we have a whole list of suppliers that can provide you with happy hides rofl.gif

Oh and sort the happy ones just for you so you don't have to do anything special rofl.gifrofl.gif

Art get me outta here before i get in trouble, beam me up. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Miso was probably sincere and not pulling our legs. Some folks just don't know the plain hard facts or animal husbandry. I guess some can wish that cattle are treated fairly, but they are big animals that can treat someone quite unfairly if they so wish. Today, some grow up in a world where they don't know where things come from or don't know how they get there, sometimes it is a shock when they find out.

Art

yes I suppose you are right. fortunately you knew of that Kalamazoo tribe that raises them to rigid guidelines. Cheryl (before I wet my pants)

I am wondering if there has been some scientific research and studies on the subject: Can a cow feel happiness and What makes a cow happy and how can you tell ?

Just a thought / Knut

I am wondering if there has been some scientific research and studies on the subject: Can a cow feel happiness and What makes a cow happy and how can you tell ?

Just a thought / Knut

Knut, i think to research that you'd need something more objective and quantitative first. You could measure behaviors but that doesn't necessarily mean the cow was happy. It would even be hard to measure treatment/mistreatment. Are you mistreating a dairy cow if you're an hour late in milking? Does the cow feel mistreated? I was recently at a farm north of here for about a month, and if you hit the barn after 7:30, the cow, goats, minis, ducklings, horses, etc. were all hollering for breakfast. (well the baby ducks usually water). Were they unhappy? If I sleep late my dog does that...but she is so happy ACTING that she looks like she's smiling and singing most of the time. I just don't know what you would measure, I swear I don't.

Cheryl those two post are of DUMBEST, SMART A#$ unnecessory post i have seen in a long time ! Best i remember nobody said anything smart to you about your rambling on and on fixing a display board and then about redoing furniture.

Maybe he was serious and maybe not. Either way i don't think what you wrote was right.

Edited by dirtclod

Cheryl those two post are of DUMBEST, SMART A#$ unnecessory post i have seen in a long time ! Best i remember nobody said anything smart to you about your rambling on and on fixing a display board and then about redoing furniture.

Maybe he was serious and maybe not. Either way i don't think what you wrote was right.

I agree John and I've already apologized to Art for them. I'd delete them if I could.

I agree John and I've already apologized to Art for them. I'd delete them if I could.

Cheryl,

You need to apologize to the originator Miso. Art was only answering a post. If you spent less time, LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL. Then maybe you might understand. The person asked a question and did not need to be ridiculed.

And I am quoting so I know you get it.

Jon

Alright everyone, we've done enough damage here, it is done, stick a fork in it.

Art