Sign in to follow this  
henryjohnsonapparel

Pfaff 1445 Vs Brother Db2-B797?

I have been searching Craig's List for a used walking foot machine for leather handbags, apparel, and upholstery. I am considering these two...Pfaff 1445 or Brother Db2-B797?

mainly because they are in my price range and they have names I recognize. Does anyone have any opinions as to how well these machines fit my application?

Also, does one machine have ability for more options, like cording foot, zipper foot than another? Or, should I be looking for some other type of machine entirely!

Thanks so much- I really appreciate this website! Ann

Edited by henryjohnsonapparel

Ann,

Both machines would be appropriate for upholstery and apparel, however you may be better off trying to find a cylinder bed machine for doing handbags. A cylinder arm will help you sew into narrow areas and tight corners. A cylinder walking foot with optional flatbed attachment would be ideal.

In terms of presser feet you'll probably have an easier time finding feet for the Brother than the Pfaff.

Good luck in your search,

Ron

Ann,

Both machines would be appropriate for upholstery and apparel, however you may be better off trying to find a cylinder bed machine for doing handbags. A cylinder arm will help you sew into narrow areas and tight corners. A cylinder walking foot with optional flatbed attachment would be ideal.

In terms of presser feet you'll probably have an easier time finding feet for the Brother than the Pfaff.

Good luck in your search,

Ron

Thanks, Ron! That was so helpful! Are you aware of any particular manufacturer's machines I should look for? I'll do some research on the internet and take a look at the type of machine you are talking about as well. Thanks again! Ann

I think (but I could be wrong) that the 797 is a double feed machine (ipresser feed and feed dogs work together to feed the material but the needle just goes up and down) while the 1445 is a triple feed (all three work together to move the material). Triple feeds in general are better than double feeds cause the stitch lengths tend to be more consistent when going over seems and such. I live in the SF Bay area and I checked out a 1445 from a Craigslist guy a while back. The machine is nice and will sew thick enough. The problem was finding presser feet for that machine. 797 feet are much easier to find and there are a lot of variety (piping, zipper, etc...). Anyways, good luck.

Andrew

Thanks, Ron! That was so helpful! Are you aware of any particular manufacturer's machines I should look for? I'll do some research on the internet and take a look at the type of machine you are talking about as well. Thanks again! Ann

Ann, I'm hesitant to recommend any particular models because I believe that's what the advertising section above is for...so I'll leave that to our resident sewing machine professionals.Wiz, Art and the rest of the community can find you the right machine for the job now that you know what you're looking for.

Good luck in your search!

Ron