Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

pictures of your bleed knots

How about those of you in here posting some graphical pictures of your bleed knots and the leather used to make them. I am most interested in the leather used to attach the slotted conchos... The different looks, and how to finish the leather once it is in place... ie: the ends and such...

I just started on this board so I was reviewing to see if there was something I could learn or could help on and noticed noone had responded to this post so here goes my penny and a half!; I use some form of latigo to do the slit braid. Weaver sells a bleeder knife that i recommend if you are going to do a lot but then I have done quite a few with a sharp knife and then used closed scissors to spread the slit open. I prefer to soak the latigo in water until saturated then use a towel to draw off the excess moisture and this also draws off a lot of the extra dye. Al Stohlman has made a "finessing" tool which is basically a piece of skirting leather with a hole punched in it. The lace is drawn throuh the hole to "round" the edges, it rolls the edges towards the flesh side and smooths them up (you may or maynot want to skive the flesh side edge of the length of the string) Oh yeah when using either a knife or the slit braid bleeder it is best to hold the knife with the point stabbing the lace and lift the lace to slide it onto the knife point as opposed to slicing the lace with the knife. Easier to control and less chance of cutting through to the outside of the lace and ruining your string. To finish simply pound the lace with a flat face hammer or you can use one of those lace rollers from Tandy (never tried one). Anyway hopes this helps!

Alan Bell

Although I have bleeder tool I got years ago, I never actually use it. I just use a utility knfe (box cutter). the size of the blade is perfect when doing 3/8 strings. It's interesting what Alan said about lifting the lace up to slide it onto the knife point. I do that too, and never even thought about it. I use 6-7 oz latigo for my saddle strings.