natenaaron

Is This A Good Place?

I am pretty wary of dyeing leather at this point and I found this dyed side. Are these guys reputable? And, is 7-8 Oz to thick for notebook covers or maybe a small bag?

You folks are great. Thanks for the advice you have given.

http://www.leatherunltd.com/leather/oak/oak.html

Edited by natenaaron

I don't have any experience with them; it is the first time hearing of them today.

Art

I bought some things from them several years ago. No problems.

There prices seem very cheap. One note their description says oak leather it does not say Herman Oak. Someone could easily be missled.

Oak means oak tanned, using tannins derived from oak trees and a longer pit process. I only know three tanners that do pit tanned oak, two in England and one in Germany. There have got to be more, but I haven't found them. Most US Vegetable Tanners (pit) use Quebracho from South America, Mimosa from South Africa, or a combination if they make their own liquors, which I know one does. Most true Oak Tanned leathers are used in bespoke and other shoe industry and cost three or four times the prices Leather Unlimited charges. Call and ask them, find out the tanner. But for that price, you could just give them a try, and let us know the quality.

Art

The problem, Art is I would not know good from bad. That is how new I am. Heck I can't even figure out how to order from Maverick Leather.

Call ANY of these leather sellers and talk to them. Tell them you have no idea what you are talking about and tell them what you want to do. Tell them one of the mods on leatherworker.net sent you. Please try and use our advertisers, as we have a relationship with them and they won't sell you crap, or something you don't need. If one of our advertisers sends you something shoddy, let me know and I will take care of it for you. Since you are in Arizona, Springfield Leather and Sheridan Outfitters are the closest to you. Call them. Kevin at Springfield and Vandy at Sheridan.

Art

I agree with Art call the leather suppliers. I have always found them helpful. They want you to keep coming back and it is not in there best interest to give you something that is no good

Thanks Art. Those places are closed when I have the chance to call so I will what I can get done through e-mail. I appreciate the help.

They will work with you if it has to be through Pony Express. Tell them when you are available if you want them to call or whatever. Communication only stops if one party wants it to.

Art

7-8 oz may be too thick for what you are planning. I use 7-8 and 8-9 for holsters and gun belts. It is a little stiff. You might want to look at some 4-5 for what you are talking about making.

Michael

Thanks, mlapaglia. Leather thickness is something I am having a hard time wrapping my head around.

Sending an e-mail to one of the leather places this morning.

For general reference 1 ounce leather thickness = 1/64"