Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Wrinkle Removal On Leather?

Ok strange question here. I read about people using a glass slicker to even out and remove wrinkles on leather. I was thinking about it and wondered. Can a rolling pin do the same thing as far as flattening and removing wrinkles?

Sorry if this is the wrong area to ask I wasn't sure. Anyone try this? I was thinking metal roller. John

Ok strange question here. I read about people using a glass slicker to even out and remove wrinkles on leather. I was thinking about it and wondered. Can a rolling pin do the same thing as far as flattening and removing wrinkles?

Sorry if this is the wrong area to ask I wasn't sure. Anyone try this? I was thinking metal roller. John

Thinking about this I imagine it would work to some extent. The glass slicker smooths as you push/pull it across the leather. The rolling pin would probably just "mash" the leather which could work, partially anyway. Don't forget to clean the "dough" off the rolling pin. LOL

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

Thanks for the reply Ferg. I'll have to remember about the 'dough' thing. If I had a rolling pin I would try it on some scrap just to see it was a random thought anyway. Thought I would share and see what people thought. John

Thanks for the reply Ferg. I'll have to remember about the 'dough' thing. If I had a rolling pin I would try it on some scrap just to see it was a random thought anyway. Thought I would share and see what people thought. John

One of the older methods of removing "wrinkles" or smoothing the grain involvied a glass slicker to lay down the fibers. But, the leather was moist at this point. Think of the leather like a shirt which is wrinkled. It takes pressure and moisture to remove those "wrinkles".

If you choose to go this route, the fibers will need to be moistened. How much? Depends upon thickness (substance) and the tannage. If it is vegetable tanned, you will need to be more careful about wetting the leather back as the vegetable tannins can be washed out of the leather. If you choose to moisten the leather, you will also need to take into account any finishes which are currently on the leather. This project of removing the "wrinkles" could be exasperating.

I dont' know if this has helped at all ... but if you care to discuss further either post here (I'll answer if I see the post) or email me at siegel.leather@gmail.com. I'll try to help with ideas, if I can.

Good Luck

Steven Siegel

You should be able to wet it, pin it down tight and let it dry.

I've had wrinkled lining, pinned it out flat then glued the leather to it then rolled it with a roller from the hardware store that I bought for gluing some formica to wood.

You should be able to wet it, pin it down tight and let it dry.

I've had wrinkled lining, pinned it out flat then glued the leather to it then rolled it with a roller from the hardware store that I bought for gluing some formica to wood.

Sounds like a good solution to me for leather which is of this substance.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said a random thought. I don't have any I am currently trying to get out or anything. Reading about the glass slicker is what made me think of it. I was thinking about veg tan leather when wet and secured down. I would have tried it if I had a roller. Think I have a wrinkled piece somewhere. John