fishguy

Leather weight for guitar straps

I USE 6 OZ ON THE ONES I MAKE.

I would like to add that I havnt made one yet but everyone that I see for the most part seems to be about 6oz.

So what is the best weight of leather for an unlined guitar strap?

The guitar straps I have made were made from 6/7 oz. & lined with 3/4 oz. lining leather or deer skin. Made this way you sure don't have to worry about them braking on the pickersIM001871.jpg since some of them get pretty wild with things. The straps are still plenty flexible even with the lining. Tex

post-8666-125286398185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tex

The guitar straps I have made were made from 6/7 oz. & lined with 3/4 oz. lining leather or deer skin. Made this way you sure don't have to worry about them braking on the pickersIM001871.jpg since some of them get pretty wild with things. The straps are still plenty flexible even with the lining. Tex

Hey Tex thats a nice looking strap.

Kind of interested in how you got that buckle setup. Im not really good at desiphering from a photo.

And then there are those of the persuasion that "Thicker-er is better". This strap was made for a friend that wanted it strong enough so he could pull his truck to a gig with it if he broke down on the way!! It is two layers of 7 oz. plus sheep skin backing.

Bob

post-8161-0-41918600-1419179990_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-69370100-1419180027_thumb.jp

Weird, I use 8-9oz, plus a 2-3 oz liner and a 3-4oz filler. They are a little heavey, but I'm not trying to compete with the stuff on the shelf, I want something nice. I'm a player myself so......they don't seem oddly thick to me. The biggest problem is where they hook on to the guitar. They can get really deformed and downright dangerous if the leather is too thin.