David Bruce

Anyone Use A Twist Rivet/snap Press?

I am looking for a quality press to punch holes, set rivets and snaps. I came across these italian twist presses at Campbell-Randall and think that the small one might fit the bill. Anyone used these? If so, what do you think of them? Here's a link to their brochure it's the #2 TWP model:

http://www.campbell-randall.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Fastening_Machines.pdfpost-47864-0-10715400-1432911434_thumb.p

Fastening_Machines.pdf

Edited by David Bruce

Over the years, I have used a lot of different things. What I use now is the Weaver Little Wonder. This is the best thing for the price I have found so far. In an active shop, you will end up with more than one, we did. They are small enough that you don't mind changing dies although if you use a lot of something, say splash rivets, you usually end up just leaving one set up for that. You will know when you reach that point. For snaps, I still use the hand presses I used in my boat canvas days. Snaps require a little more setup and it is just easier to leave them set-up for 24s. As with any press, it doesn't take long for the cost of dies to be more than the press.

Art

Art, I looked at the Little Wonder before I came across this twist press. I know Weaver makes quality tools but I just can't justify the price for one let alone the extra attatchments. I can get this twist press with all of the attachments that I need for less than the Little Wonder press alone. I try and buy American when I can but this time I'll have to give my money to a Texas company for an Italian product. I was hoping that someone who has one of these would chime in.

Art, I looked at the Little Wonder before I came across this twist press. I know Weaver makes quality tools but I just can't justify the price for one let alone the extra attatchments. I can get this twist press with all of the attachments that I need for less than the Little Wonder press alone. I try and buy American when I can but this time I'll have to give my money to a Texas company for an Italian product. I was hoping that someone who has one of these would chime in.

Ok, I understand cost. If I had to set 100 rivets or spots, I think the screw press might be a little slow. On a budget (or not, this is a pretty good idea), this Ian Atkinson video might be handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyV3ZTVpqY

Art

This green Asian-made press pops up in different spots (puns... tsk, tsk). Arthur Porter (Youtube) used to have several videos about it but he apparently has taken them down for a reason unknown to me.

I do know from my own research that there is one hitch with this and similar presses made in metric-based countries. That is that standard Imperial-based snaps, rivets, spots, etc. won't fit with this machine. You are therefore constrained to buying the metric fittings from this or other independent vendors [bTW I have no experience with this Etsy vendor, but s/he does seem to have a good track record. Again, I've seen this press on ebay, AliBaba and other outlets. They come and go so let the buyer beware and make sure you do your due diligence.]

The upside is that the press itself and the dies that fit it are vastly more affordable than the Tandy one.

The bottom line for me was that the ready availability and my own large inventory of US-made snaps, rivets, etc. (Ohio Travel Bag, Tandy) tipped the scale so I ended up with a Tandy press.

Michelle

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MinkusMargo?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Edited by silverwingit

Art,

Thanks for the video but I actually have one of these cheapo arbor presses from Harbor Freight that I use for stamping (I prefer not to buy Chinese products but needed the press immediately). I also wanted a dedicated Rivet Press that I didn't have to modify.

Silverwingit,

I know the press that you are referring to however this is a completely different thing. This is an Italian-made twist press sold by Campbell Randall in Texas. They offer a wide range of dies for this including standard sizes which is what I ordered along with the Keystone Skiver/Splitter that they make. I think you are talking about the cheap green Chinese or Goldstar presses (which I have read on this forum from owners accept standard snaps, etc...just fine).

Edited by David Bruce