Sign in to follow this  
MyNewHobby

Another New One

Hi there all!

I am new to any leather working and have wanted to try to work with it ... ie pouches for polished stones, special wrapping for wire wrapped rocks and stones, etc.

I too belong to an online rock hobby group ... aka Rock Tumbling Hobby.

I have been tumbling since January, have been trying to learn (have not done too bad) wire wrapping, and have recently started working with wet tile saw for rock cutting. Have limited rock hounding experience, but I have developed a love for rocks. It is hard to explain.

I have very limited work with leather, however ... I am up to my ears in leather and figure I may as well learn how to work with it. I do have a couple of very basic tools for leather working. I have a multiple tip punch and scissors bad to the bone for cutting leather.

I work for a company that manufactures custom, to factory specs interiors for european cars. So I get to take home as much scrap as I an haul. Needless to say, I have leather up to my ears.

My pieces are small to medium and every now then and again I get a hide that has flaws too grossly apparent, the hide must be tossed.

I want to learn from those that have a passion for their craft .... you guys ...

My humble thanks ... as always ... Julie

Edited by MyNewHobby

Hi Julie, and Welcome to Leatherworker.net! Give us some ideas of what you want to do, ask questions, and we'll do our best to help you out.

Hi Julie. Welcome to LW.

So you polish stones? I used to do that back in my last life. It was a lot of fun.

I have seen some beautiful jewelry from stones and leather on this forum. One had a sizeable chunk of turquois in it, and a finely braided thong. Might be something you'd like. Maybe someone else can remember who posted it?

Anyway, enjoy your stay. There's so many great people here, willing to share what they know, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hey Julie, Glad to see you here. wasn't I right, isn't the leather craftmanship amazing? I can only dream of making things like I see here.

See you around the board and have fun! I know I am.

Lori

Edited by justme

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy yourself.