GampasShop

Questions for the Experienced??

#1 X-Ray film, where do you get it? My wife is a nurse and talked to guys in the X-Ray dept. and they said I was out of luck getting any from the hospital. I then tried a local Veterinary and he said they keep theirs in the Customers file for ever.

#2 I keep seeing posts that say either use Rubber Cement or Contact Cement. What is the difference in the two and how do you know when to use which one??

#3 This one is the best. Whenever I make a Tandy Kit, I have never used the lace that comes with the kit, instead I use the "Superior Leather Lace". What if anything is the lace that came with the kits good for? I guess I could learn to braid lanyards with it.

#1 X-Ray film, where do you get it? My wife is a nurse and talked to guys in the X-Ray dept. and they said I was out of luck getting any from the hospital. I then tried a local Veterinary and he said they keep theirs in the Customers file for ever.

#2 I keep seeing posts that say either use Rubber Cement or Contact Cement. What is the difference in the two and how do you know when to use which one??

#3 This one is the best. Whenever I make a Tandy Kit, I have never used the lace that comes with the kit, instead I use the "Superior Leather Lace". What if anything is the lace that came with the kits good for? I guess I could learn to braid lanyards with it.

#2: contact cement is PERMANENT! (more or less)... Rubber cement is easily removable

#3: If you treat that lace with lexol, it does soften up a bit. It's OK, but sometimes it can be really crappy & short in length. If it looks OK, I'll often use it; if not, I use the better stuff.

russ

1. x ray film seems to be pretty hard to get a hold of. I got some from a friend that said "dont tell anyone where you got this". I have tried using it to back carving projects, but I dont really like it. It's really hard for me to get it to stay on the leather. About half way through a project, it starts coming loose. I just use the cardboard off of cereal boxes. It's easy to get, sticks well with rubber cement, and comes of easily when I want it to come off (make sure you put the cement on the outside part of the box).

2. Rubber Cement is usually for a temporary bond, contact cement for a permanent bond

3. Good question

Why use x-ray film? . . . visit your local printer, and ask if you can have some of the scrap film that they use to make printing plates. It's exactly the same as x-ray film, and many printers have to pay to have it taken away!

I went to the hospital where I had my operation's, yeah plural and requested copies of my own x-rays which they provided at no charge.

Tom

Thanks guys, this is the kind of info that I was after. Having never used the film before, I don't have a clue what I would be looking for. As far as the glues, I didn't have a clue that rubber cement was only temporary. I have used contact cement for years in woodworking projects.

I need to find a book on braiding so I can use up all the lace that I have in a Christmas cookie can.

You might also try the plastic sheets you run thru an office laminator. Available from any office supply or the office supply section of Walmart etc.

Barra

I use brown packing tape as backing and I think it holds up ok and is less fuzz than dealing with cements and also easy available at nearest supermarket.

Just an extra option for you to try if you fee like it (or out of cement).

Tom